pacifier use

do u believe if a child uses their pacifiers for a long time 2 yrs or more, it will hurt their speech?

piwife

Asked by piwife at 9:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't know about their speech, but definitely will jack up their teeth.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• it depends on if they have the pacifier in their mouth all the time.
    If it's only used at night or at naps then no because they aren't talking during those times.
    But if it's in ALL the time, then yes. How can you learn to speak correctly if there's always something in your mouth preventing you from proper annunciation?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• My daughter had that thing forever. She talked right around it and has PERFECT teeth. I can tell you tho, the longer they have it, the harder it is to take it away.
    _Kitty_kat_

Answer by _Kitty_kat_ at 9:53 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Yes.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• my dd had her paci till 33 mts. no problem with her teeth at all, as for her speech. her pedi said she is very advavanced for her age. she talks very well
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:58 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• You won't see a problem until her big teeth come in. The paci is shaping her mouth which isn't a problem for her baby teeth because baby teeth are soft. Furthermore, parent's give pacifiers for THEM not for children. They give them to "pacify" the child. At 3 years old there are so many things you can do to comfort your child instead of giving them a pacifier.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• she doest have her pacifier anymore and for the last year she only used it for bedttime. she didnt have it during the day. she uses it to goto bed and as soon asshespitit out i took it away. she ddont have it on 24/7 she wanst allow too.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:14 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I don't know about their speech soo much, unless they're trying to talk with it in their mouth. It will hurt their teeth, gums, and lips though. As constant sucking will encourage their teeth and gums to grow around the pacifier if used consistantly.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:11 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• My son had his paci till he was a litle over 2. I don't know if it has to do with his pacifier or not but his speech is WAY behind. His teeth are perfect though. The doctor thinks that his speech delay is actually caused by the ear infection that he carried for 3 months when he was around a year old all because a doctor thought I was nuts because I was a first time mom.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2010