Would it bother you if your child was different from others?

Like if they dressed differently than their friends/peers(not fashion forward), listened to different music, were in to things that most kids wouldn't be in to. Would it bother you or would you encourage it?

I encourage my daughter to be different and not give in to peer pressure. We're all made differntly why shouldn't we act like it?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 9:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I will embrace my child for whomever he wants to be. If likes different music or chooses to dress differently, then so be it. I love him the way he is. I do have to say though, that I don't want him to endure the cruelity that children are when they encounter someone with very distinct differences. I want him to feel well adjusted and have a good life experience as well.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:32 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• It would depend on if they were different because that's truly who they were, or if they were doing it to attract negative attention. As long as my children are comfortable with their identities and are happy, they can be whatever they want, as long as it wasn't discrediting upon themselves.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I think kids should be themselves, as long as they are no t distucitve to them selves of others.
    No need to teach our kids arely to conform , if we do that will follow them into adulthood.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Originality rocks! Bucking the system just to be a pill??? Not a fan of that.
    I love when my kids lead rather than follow.
    As for fashion forward: I see boys wearing girl stretchy pants - I hope to hell my kids dont follow that!
    _Kitty_kat_

Answer by _Kitty_kat_ at 9:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• fan of kitty kat on this one...just don't take it too far like that four yr old boy who's parents were keeping him out of school bc they refused to cut his hair...there are rules to follow.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I encourage my child to be herself!!

Answer by rkoloms at 9:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I just encourage them to be themselves and follow their own interests- whether that is with the crowd or a little different really makes no difference to me.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:39 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• My daughter is on the gothy side - I have always let her wear pretty much what she wants and have colored hair and all that. I have always told her that being that way is fine, but people are going to give her a hard time about it and whatnot, and that when that happens to kill them wiht kindness to show them that she is a good person ALWAYS. I let her know I love her and teach her top respect herself and others. She is 16 now and so far is doing really well with what I have taught her.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• *to respect not top respect ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• My kids are different. So yeah I would and do agree with supporting my kids no matter what.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2010