How were you disciplined in school?

I'm curious as to how school discipline has changed throughout the years. If you were talking too much, disrupting class, if you didn't finish your work, etc, how were you disciplined in school? Did you think it was effective?

kameka

Asked by kameka at 10:00 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We either got suspended or sent to ISS (in school suspension) we just sat at a desk. No it wasnt effective.....Its not like I was doing anything different. If I got suspended I was out hanging with my friends are doing whatever I want at the house. If it was ISS I sat at a desk and read. Definitely want punishment.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• wasn't**
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• They called home which was a fate worse than death. My parents didn't spare the rod and spoil the child. I did get my hand swatted with a rule in 2nd grade and my butt swatted by my mom when I got home. Getting in trouble at school carried too high a price. My parents backed the teachers without question. My husband and I follow that same mind set. My kids knew that we were a united group and they had better not get in trouble. When they did, we punished them at home - no questions asked. They didn't get in trouble very often.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• They would have us copy the dictionary for an hour in detention or write the same sentence over again 100 times. If we got caught talking in class or passing notes, the teachers would make us stand up in front of everyone and tell the class what our conversation was about and/or post the note up for everyone to see.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I forgot to mention I was looking for elementary school discipline! Sorry! And of course I can't edit the actual question. Ugh. So please, if you read this, elementary school!!!!
    kameka

Answer by kameka at 10:21 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I was always getting yelled at to sit down and be quiet. They didn't know what ADD was back then. Sometimes I had to write on the board 100 times "I will not talk during class". Funny, I think I talked the entire time I was writing! lol I'm sure my elementary teachers had a party when I went to junior high!

Answer by admckenzie at 10:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• wooden ruler to the knuckles

j/k we got name on the board, detention, and in elementary school we had wooden paddles that the teachers could use on us if we were really bad. That was before spankings were considered bad.

I was never disciplined at school because I never got in trouble. I never had one detention from the time I was in kinder all the way through high school.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• If we were bothering the class or disruppting the class we were sent into the hallway to sit. Big Whoop. I don't think any child really considered that a punishment, as it got us out of class. However, if we were really causing trouble, especially after we had our hall time, we were sent to the principles office. A detention was usually served in that case.

In 6th grade I didn't turn in homework for a couple of days .. That's about as rebelious as I got. I got a detention.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• In elementary, if we were naughty in class, we would have to sit on the wall at recess and watch the the other kids play, and we weren't allowed to talk to anyone.

I got into a fight with a boy in elementary for throwing my lunch pail in the mud so I grabbed him and threw him into the ditch, but he grabbed my shirt as he was falling and I fell on top of him. Our punishment was standing outside in the cold, all muddy and wet until our parents came to get us.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:16 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Omg, I was always in trouble. In elementary school, if I disrupted the class (which was everyday), I was either sent to sit in the hallway,( which was fun, I would talk to everyone that walked by) or I was sent to sit in the principals office and I stood at recess. I was kicked off the bus a few times. In high school, I lived in the principals office. If I disrupted the class, I was sent to the principal and I would either get, after school detention (which I had everyday), breakfast detention or lunch detention. If i skipped school or got into a fight, I got Saturday school. I was suspended and expelled a few times, be ffrom 3 day- 2 weeks, depends on what the issue was.In 8th grade the principal got sick or me and kicked me out of school. before then, I had indefinite Saturday school. None of the teachers tried with me, or the principal. teachers still remember me to this day. I know they celebrated when I got kicked out.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 12:26 AM on Jan. 24, 2010