Allergic to cats?

My husband is allergic to cats but we want one. Understandably, he doesn't want to have to take medicine just to be able to have one. Is there anything else that can be done to prevent him from suffering if we did adopt one?

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 10:27 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Pets

• There are certain breeds that produce less dander, so you may want to look into that. I'm severely allergic to cats and when I was younger we got a Siamese cat and it actually helped lessen my allergy to them.
    mire621

Answer by mire621 at 12:28 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I used to have very severe reactions to cats, I hated meds that made me sleepy so I took shots and they worked very well. I know you said no meds but shots really are very effective. Just a thought. O and I only took them for less than a year and now 5 years later I am free from reactions from my allergies!
    youlookin4me

Answer by youlookin4me at 12:35 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• There is a cat that is good for allergy sufferers I saw it on Cats 101 but I can't seem to think of it. Look it up online sure you'll find it. good luck, sorry I couldn't help more
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 1:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I am a vet tech and I always suggest an air purifier, yes giving your cat a bath, keeping your cat on Fish oil supplements for skin! He is allergic to the dander that cats have. Try those things!

Danielle
    http://www,momsforahealthyhome.com
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 1:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2010