OH MY GOSH- IT REALLY WORKS!!!

Up until three nights ago I was at the wrath of my 2 year old's sleep patterns. I would spend an hour a night lying next to him waiting for him to fall asleep. Every night he would crawl into bed next to me around 3 am and toss and turn for hours (keeping me awake most of the night). Three nights ago, my husband and I decided to do the ol' return him to his bed every time he gets up bit.
The first night we spent 35-40 minutes picking him up, putting him back into his bed and listening to him beg and cry. Last night it was about 20 minutes. Tonight, I only had to return him to his bed three times! He still comes into our room int he middle of the night- but we only have to put him back in his bed!! No crying, he just falls asleep.
Any techniques you've tried that you thought would be really hard but turned out to be (relatively easy) life savers??

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 10:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It DOES work!! Good for you for sticking to it! If you keep to it - he will STAY in his room!! you are not being selfish for wanting your bed for you & hubby. Great job!!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:39 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• have a good nightGood job Super Nanny...Now you can finally get some real sleep keep up the good work

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• my dd nevr had a routine and getting her to bed was a feraking nightmare. so we cut of her paci. no more naps. and now has a routine. some days it works but she still tries to fight it. i no longer leay down with her and she is not allow in my bed anyomre unless she is scik or if i didnt put her to bed on time. this her routine. bath, the she gets to watch a little bit of tv(is usually an elmo or foramobie. then we brush our teeth, have asip of water, potty, bedtime story.pray and i turn on the radio for her. the only bad thing is is that verytime my dd gets in the car she falls asleepso for example today she woke up at 9:30. i lay her down at 10:30 and she still awake. if she hadnt taken that 30 mt nap in the car she would be asleep now. now our 10 mth old sleeps in our bed .lolam trying to kivk him out but he is alot tougher then dd. dd would at leats sleep in her cribin my room. ds screams if i put him in there.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:21 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Good for you for sticking with it! That's what a child needs is their parents to follow through, be consistant, and stand their ground. That's great that you did that for your child. He will really benefit from that in the future.

JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:53 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I thought this was going to be something about CIO, but good for you! A two year old needs to be able to sleep in their own bed and you deserve to sleep through the night for the first time in years. I really hate all of those family bed people who have their kids up until like three sleeping in the same bed as them and then use the excuse "Well they do it in a lot of other countries in the world". Yes but the reason they do it there is because they live in one bedroom huts and sleep on mats on the floor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Thanks, my son has been having sleeping problems lately, (it's 4:00am right now) but I tried this before but got aggravated and gave up after a few tries thinking this isn't going to work.. I'm gonna try to do it again, and maybe I can go through with it knowing now that it worked for someone. thanks again
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 4:01 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• YES IT DOES! With my first I had the smae issues at 2 1/2 he was a mess waking often and always crawling in our bed so I did that SAME thing and was amazed it does work. he was a bit harder but they older they are the harder it is so my girls at 12mos both went to their beds and yes we did CIO and 3 days they were fine. We always checked on them alot but now all my kids sleep wonderfully all night and being consistant is what makes it happen even faster.

So yay to you for sticking it out and now bedtimes will be easier and more peaceful and everyone can get much NEEDED sleep:)
    Anonymous