Does this sound like a bladder infection to you? Please help!!

I have blood in my urine, my bladder feels full and heavy all the time(the feeling that I have to pee doesn't go away), I have been passing what I believe are very small pieces of clots in my urine, if I drink a glass of water I have to run and sit on the toilet because I start "leaking", and when it gets to the point where my bladder is almost empty while I'm peeing, I get a searing pain in my lower pelvis. I'm already taking anti-biotics, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this before. I've had UTI's and kidney infections before, but I never had blood in my urine...ever. So I'm thinking it might be a bladder infection. My health insurance was just renewed and I don't get my card until Monday, so I can't get to a doctor and I literally have no money at the moment. Please give help, or try, but no bashing please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Health

• A UTI is a bladder infection, or a kidney infection. UTI stands for urinary tract infection. It sounds like you have a whopper going on. Lots of water. Cranberry juice (not cranberry cocktail), Motrin/Ibuprofen for the pain. Are the Antibiotics you're taking ones that were perscribed for your symptoms or for something else? Bladder infections can quickly become kidney infections if not treated. I have had many of both and it is no fun. If you spike a temperature, begin having pain in your lower to mid back..you need to go to urgent care, an ER something. Three things will help prevent them in the future...always wipe front to back.....always get up an urinate within 10 minutes of having sex...and stay well hydrated. Hope you feel better soon.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I've had UTI's get so bad that I have had blood in my urine before. You should go back in and see if they can put you on another antibiotic.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:39 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Also, if your lower back starts hurting, it's turned into a kidney infection and those suck horribly!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Drink lots of cranberry juice. Stay on the antibiotics, and take some ibuprofen for the pain. I had kidney stones and kidney infection last October and sounds just like what you're going though. Hope you're feeling better soon! Oh and get lots of rest if you can...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Thanks. I'm taking 500mg of penicillin(every 6 hours) that I've had from a few months ago. I haven't had any back pain, which why I haven't considered a kidney infection or stones, but it's my bladder that feels heavy. I've been laying down a lot since whenever I walk or sit up I get a real bad pain in my pelvic area...and I feel an even bigger urge to pee, which like I said in my post, isn't a pleasant experience!
    Anonymous

• I've never had a UTI get that bad. The only time I had blood in my urine was from a kidney stone.

If it were a kidney stone, you would probably have noticed more pain on one side of your lower back.

...and if that were the case, just to be on the safe side, I would avoid driving and being alone for the next couple of days. Only because a kidney stone can suddenly floor you and you don't want to cause a crash or not have a right to the hospital if that were to happen.

If you really need to see a doctor (because the pain is too much, or the antibiotics just seem to not be working) just go. If you're insurance is renewed, you can always call the insurance company with your personal info to get your card ID number off the phone.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• you could have passed a kidney stone or could still be passing one. take azo and cranberry juice and maybe a cranberry pill till you can see your dr. i can usually "cure" them myself with this method and lots of water.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Taking a random Rx from months ago is NOT the way to "treat" what's wrong. There are totally different antibiotics specifically for UTIs, different ones for bladder infections, and so on. I have a child who has had many bladder infections. If that's what you have, you're beyond a basic infection, and insurance card or not, you need to get your behiney to the ER. I know it sucks not having the money to pay, but if you show them the old card and tell them you'll bring the new one Monday, they'll most likely put it through your insurance and you won't have to pay as much. But if you don't get treated properly, you're going to have bigger problems than what you're dealing with now! PLEASE just go now and save yourself 2 more days of misery!
    Anonymous

• If you have blood in your urine, the infection may have spread to your kidneys; this is very bad and dangerous. Get medical treatment today!!!!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:59 AM on Jan. 24, 2010