Does Any one know what the government assistnace programs are like in Las Vegas and surronding areas in Nevada?

I am looking to move but know that I am going to have to depend on foodstamps for awhile till i get back on my feet... I am transfering my housing so that is not too big of a worry!
My other question is does any one know what the housing allowance for a 2bdrm w/no accountable income is in that area? Here in South Dakota it is $700 and was wondering so that i can start looking for places.
Thanks in advance to anyone that helps!

AlannahRainsMom

Asked by AlannahRainsMom at 10:46 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• Im not sure if youve checked but look and see if there are any groups for moms from that area and try asking there. You might have better luck that way.
    m_ellingson

Answer by m_ellingson at 10:58 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Go to Las Vegas's government website. Nevada.gov is what it probably is and search for their assitance programs on there. That is the best way to get the correct, up to date, and valid information that you're looking for.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• They dont do much and you dont get to pick and choose where you live. There are a FEW nice places that take taht section 8 stuff but they are always full, because they are also low income apartments so many that dont get section 8 but cant afford alot go to thte nice places.
    The rest are very ghetto and nasty.
    The foodstmaps have a lower income limit so most likely unless you are not working at all or you do the bare min you wont get it. THey also have a 60 day waiting period because so many people are on it. Even if you lose your job and cant feed your kids they stillmake you wait 60 dyas.
    The housing also has a long wait too, my dads girlfriends sister applied for it lasat year and still has yet to be approved for it

IF you are ok where you are why move to a new city? This city has a higher cost of living and is not the best place for families. Unless you can afford to live in a super nice neighborhood or summerlin.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Jan. 24, 2010