Teen mom soon to be homeless, any ideas?

There is a teen mom that I know that is about to be homeless, and I need some ideas on how to help her.

She's 18 with an 11 month old. She's currently living with the baby's father and his grandpa, but they are not together. The grandpa just had a liver transplant, and is about to come home. Because of his transplant, he is not able to have anyone live with him. She has no boyfriend, we just moved to a place that can't take her, and her mom can't take her either. She ran away at age 15, and had been living with her dad ever since, so now her mom doesn't have a place for her either, and they can't move. Her mom really wants to take her in, but she just can't.

When she first got pregnant, she was staying at a home for pregnant teens, but she left because she didn't like the rules. Now she wants to go back and can't.

We're in Oregon if that helps any.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• it sounds to me that she is pretty hard headed maybe you might just have to let her fall on her bottom to learn but of course be ready to offer her that couch when she learns her lesson
    casnlily

Answer by casnlily at 3:44 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Are there any aunts or uncles she could stay with temporarily? She could call the home she was in before and ask if there are any homeless youth shelters in the area. We have one in our town that I never knew was there despite passing it almost daily, so there could be resources that are easily over looked. She could call social services and ask them what options she has including emergency assistance.
    Anonymous

• OP HERE

I also forgot to add that she has a job, but only gets about 10 hours a week. She's been looking for another job for about three months, with no luck. She has her GED.

She has WIC and had state assistance. Because she was living with the birth father and his grandpa, they took his income too, then she lost her assistance. Now the birth father isn't working, the grandpa is in the hospital, and for some reason she can't get her assistance back. She doesn't understand what happened, and she's been trying to find out, but she's getting the run around.

I think calling that house she was at is her only option. At least they may have some resources.

When she first had her baby she was living with her aunt, and that was NOT a good situation. She doesn't have anyone else, unless she moves out of the area, and then she'll lose what little income she has.
    Anonymous

• Can you or the mom or anyone else take the baby for her, so maybe she can gat back on her (better job and apartment),

It may not be ideal, but it would be better than being homeless with a baby. I would be worried about CPS finding out I was homeless with my baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• OP HERE

I think the only way that mom would temporarily give up her baby was if she was literally living on the streets. She has plenty of friends and her sister that would take her baby temporarily, it just sucks that none of us, including her mom and her sister have any room for both of them in our homes. Her and her baby would have to be living on our couch, and it's open to her if she wants it but she turned it down because she doesn't want to be a burden and be in the way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Contact the Salvation Army--they provide transitional housing based on income. They will help her find an apartment, pay escrow, etc. They may even help her with furniture. She can also contact the PA office.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:47 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Contact local social services agencies.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:57 AM on Jan. 24, 2010