How do you start the foster parent process?

As you all know we are parent's of 2 young boy's and we want to open our home to a child in need and are talking about becoming foster parent's but have no clue on how to start the process or what is required to be a foster parent? Can anyone fill us in? thanks Nora

mommy0421

Asked by mommy0421 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Im not sure where you are from, but in Washington state you can contact Children's Administration to arrange to take foster parent classes. Then after the class has been completed there other things to be done such as background checks etc... There is also Casey Family that I believe offers foster parent training as well. I actually do work in adoptions for the state, so I hope that helps. The poster parents that I work with have found it very rewarding. Many blessings...
    Anonymous

• Contact social services or whatever it is in your area. They will have all the info. You will have to go through an intense background check, home visits and foster parenting classes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:45 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Before moving I was a foster parent in OK. I didn't go through DHS but a children’s shelter that was contracted through them. The process was the same though. Filled out the application, did background checks, finger printing. Foster parent pride classes, 2 home visits and one home study. We were also required to take CPR/First Aid through the red cross. The whole process took 8 months from beginning to end. There are both age and income requirements.
    Once you become a foster parent you are required a certain amount of continued training hours yearly. It was one of the most rewarding and heart wrenching things I've ever done. Since the move we have decided to wait to do foster care again till our kids are older. They were just exposed to so much :(
    bgcmommy

Answer by bgcmommy at 3:15 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I know you didn't ask this, but you have 2 kids of your own to worry about right now. My parents fostered, with my sis and I being the bio kids, and it was very unpleasant for us. Bad shit happened all the time because of the foster kids, by the foster kids. I urge you to wait until your kids are grown and out of the house.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2010