Does anyone else tell their kids comebacks for bullies

A boy called my DD ugly, I set her to school with the following---"Well if I had a dog as ugly as you I would shave its butt and make it walk backwards!!!" Does anyone else teach their kids smart @55 comebacks??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jan. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• Will no i tell my children not to. I tell them to be the bigger person and walk away. But thats a good come back.
    foreverof4

Answer by foreverof4 at 12:18 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• No. I believe that love breeds more love. And hate only breeds more hate. There's always someone out there that is gonna try to one up you. And come backs are only good when they can be said on the spot anyways.

I tell my sons to say something like "ya know. that really hurts my feelings but i really like it when we play cars together".
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:33 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• No, I tell him to walk away and not show any emotion. Bullies prey on those that show a reaction.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:42 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Depends on the bullie... my DD is 5 and can hold her own. I babysit a little 4 year old boy who likes to play rough, and he kicked her while she was sitting on the floor with my 1 year old on her lap, and she said "DO NOT kick me around my brother!" and he said "Imma given you a whoopin you aint gonna forget" and kicked her again, and she stood up and layed his ass out!!! Maybe not the best thing for her to do, but I was SOOOO proud! He's attempted to fight her a few more times, and she's layed his butt out everytime so he gave up and resigned to being whooped by a girl!
    In dance class she had a girl tell her that her costume was ugly, and she said "Yeah, well, atleast I can dance" her teacher told me all of this.... Was proud she stood up for herself,and happy she didnt knock that kid out either.
    I dont stand up for myself. Im the "bigger person" and Im always walked all over. I dont want her to be like that.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 1:00 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• It is good to teach your child to stand up for them selves, my son (now 3) was always letting every one take things from him and he would come to me and say 'mommy I am sad' I would have to defend him. after I taught him to have a back bone, but not be mean, his littler cousins no longer pick on him.
    It is good for you daughter to stand up for herself but she doesn't have to bring the other persons selfesteem (which is probably low) down too.
    Teach her that the other people are just jealous of her and to not let their comments matter, the only ones that do are families.
    Micheleh04

Answer by Micheleh04 at 2:13 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• No but my kids are the kid that if you say something to them or start something they will make you wish you didnt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:39 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Yep, I sure did.
    TinaN64

Answer by TinaN64 at 10:28 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I teach my kids bully self-defense, which doesn't include snarky comebacks. They will stand up and defend themselves, but they will do it without sinking down to the bullies level.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:06 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• NEVER.

we've dealt with bullies - and the last thing you want to do is give them ammunition for another beating. which is precisely what would have happened with our bullies if my dd would have said something like that.

we've taught them to stand up for themselves, if need be defend themselves and tell someone in authority.

a nasty verbal comeback is stooping to the level of the bully.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:51 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• My 8 year old is a lot like me, we get walked over and we generally walk away from confrontation. However my 2 year old "will go there" (as my MIL says) if anyone even thinks of doing him wrong! LOL. And it does make me feel better he can take care of himself. With my eldest I would probably give him something as a comeback for mean comments, but he is now home schooled due to his schedule.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 24, 2010