how can i get my 10 month old to stop being afraid of water

my 10 month old has been terrified of water since the day he was born and i really hate this i want him to have fun in the tube but if he even hears water running or goes in to the bathroom with me he starts crying. what i don't understand is nothing tramatic has ever happened in water that i can think would make him this scared. help

s_lanpher

Asked by s_lanpher at 12:07 AM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would set him in your lap so he can be close to you  and just start by sprinkling WARM water on his legs or feet, that way its not to hot or too cold, to get him used to what water feels like and just try to be patient with him it may just take him time to get used to the water and talk to him calmly while your doing it. Good luck.

Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 12:17 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Do a little water in the tub, get some bath toys, get in with him and get him splashing. Maybe if he sees you having fun in the tub he'll calm down? Also, some of those foam letters or bath/pool squirting toys. My dd was always afraid of getting her head wet in the tub but DH would splash water on his face and taught her how to wipe her eyes after they get wet. It took some time but she's much more comfortable now. Maybe fill the tub before you bring him into the bathroom??? What about taking him to a pool and see if he feels more comfortable there, then explain it's just like the tub?
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:18 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• maybe the bath tub is too big for him. we used a plastic water trough for my daughter. i would fill it with warm water, and she would get a bath in the living room so she can be around everyone, until she was almost 1 & 1/2
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Jan. 24, 2010