How can I get my three year old to behave in public?

she freaks out whenever anyone comes near us and screams for them to stay away and don't touch her baby brother. I know she is being protective but how can I get her to stop throwing the fit? So I can at least go grocery shopping without getting embarrassed and leaving and waiting for my husband to watch the kids.

Asked by ranNic0507 at 8:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It helps a lot to explain to little ones what is expected. Let her know where you are going and what you expect her to do. If you are out in public and she is protective...praise her...say Thank you for taking such good care of your baby brother. Then add...this person would just like to say hi to him too. This may help her to let her defenses down a bit. If she knows that you approve of the persons attention with the baby. good luck

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 9:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• What I do with my 2 yr old, is that when we are out in public, and I see another little kid acting out, I bend down and have her look and say, "see that girl, she's not being very nice/respectful to her mommy is she? You would never act like that in public would you b/c you're a big girl,and you know your manners." It works perfect b/c she see's examples of how she should and shouldn't act.

Answer by lynenedubbels at 8:20 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• what i do is keep heather occupied i involve her in the shopping i show her what i need and she gets it and puts it in the cart and she feels like a big girl and not worry so much about her brothers.that is my suggestion,hope it works .

Answer by pancake1234 at 9:10 AM on Jun. 27, 2008