My son and wic.

My son is 10 months old, weighs 27lbs, 29 inches tall. Everytime I go into wic they tell me hes overweight and I need to cut is intake of everything. His ped tells me hes healthy and to keep doing what I am feeding him and such. Then they tell me he should be on stage 3 foods. He cant swallow the stage 3, he sits there and chokes on it, so for now he takes stage 2. The also told me he is a size of an 18 month old. Do you think he is overweight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That does sound very large for a 10 month old. My son is 31 weeks (almost 3 years old) and is just now 30 lbs. I would call another doctor for a second opinion - there may be something else going on that you aren't aware of.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:32 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I wouldn't say he's over weight not all kids these days are the same size though I say listen to the doc and not the wic office .
    waitin4u

Answer by waitin4u at 12:33 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• No not overweight just a big kid overall he is the size of an 18 month old in height and weight.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:33 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• My son is 2 and weighs as much as your son and is in the 57 percentile for weight.. I know there is a large range in children- but 27 lbs at 10 months seems incredibly large. I cannot believe that he weighs that much on eating only stage 2 foods. I would seek a second opinion from a different pediatritian.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I think that sounds very big for a 10 month old . My daughter is 2 and is 27lbs. WIC is alot more strict than the ped . we had to deal with them for awhile.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Babies aren't supposed to be skinny! He's just a little kid and will stretch out with growth spurts.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:50 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• OP here. I have a 2year old as well and shes 34 inches and 33 pounds. I don't really see a problem with his weight and height. I figure when he starts crawling and walking, whenever he decides to do that, he will thin out some.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Yup..then you won't be able to feed him enough lmao....
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:14 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• He is on the big side but all kids are different. I know my daughter shot up to 24 lbs by the time she was a year... now she is 2 1/2 and still 25.5 lbs and perfectly healthy. I wouldnt worry about it.
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 1:16 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• He's about the same size my DD was. She's 13 months now and about 32 lbs which is like the 97th percentile (i think). WIC never told me she was overweight. That's weird. Don't listen to them, they're stupid. You need to feed that baby if he's hungry. The thought of not feeding a 10 month old baby because WIC thinks he's too fat is disgusting! What is wrong with these crazy WIC people?
    sadiesmom87

Answer by sadiesmom87 at 6:34 AM on Jan. 24, 2010