lonely

I am 33 weeks preg with baby number 2. None of my friends have any children. My husband is at work all day. And my family lives 3 hours away. I have become a regular at the Children's museum and at a local play zone (it is freezing up here, all play is restricted to the indoors).
I used to be a social butterfly, now I have anxiety about even talking to most other moms. I have met some women with children around my son's age (2 years old) but I am unsure as how to begin a friendship/play group- especially with a new baby on the way.
I loathe my old friends and feel completely abandoned by them. I have made efforts to spend time with them, but the only way I can see them is if I go to a bar (we are all nearing 30.... the bar scene is not new to any of us). I feel like my husband puts his frienships and work before our son and myself. I am really having a hard time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• I know how you feel.
    I feel very very lonely. I have never given birth but i have 2 children who call me mom. One is my brother and our mother died and the other is my stepson.
    My husband is in the military and is always overseas. He's in Germany right now.
    I have lost all my old friends and i don't really know how to make new ones.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:41 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• :( that isn't nice at all. Want to have an email penpal? I'm well versed in empathy :)
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:46 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I am in the same boat. and this may not be your cup of tea, but try joining a Church. Many have activities though out the week for children and for moms (w or w/o you kids) I am Mormon, but I know many of my friends religions have many activities as well, though we have something every 2 weeks I am not always able to attened and so My 3yr old is now my best friend along with books, movies and alot of different crafts (if the church thing isn't for you try scrapping) and don't forget that the phone is a great way to stay in touch with people. Though I am always willing to become a penpal or phone buddy.
    Micheleh04

Answer by Micheleh04 at 1:56 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• OMG, I feel a lot like that.
    I want to make new friends, but dont know how.....
    So I joined here, but all I do is whore the message boards at night while my DH games online.
    I still need to get out of the house and do play dates or something.
    Posting anon makes it hard tho, no one know where you are, so they cant friend you and hang out :(
    _Kitty_kat_

Answer by _Kitty_kat_ at 2:00 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I am with kitty kat....Pm me and we can talk BTW I am almost 33 weeks prego and have a little girl that just turned 3
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 2:36 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• You and I should start a group on here about this. I moved to Alaska from Arizona to be with DH and have 0 friends of my own here, my in laws are so mean to me, my DH works hard and in a stressful job so he can't give me everything I need and I don't blame him in the least. I have a hard time with other mothers my age with kids my DD age I am also expecting #2. I found that a lot of other mothers are judgemental about stupid stuff, and it bugs me. My DD is 19 months, and I want her to have friends but it is hard. I live outside of town, and am not a bar person at all. PM me if you want to I totally understand the feeling it can sonsume you sometimes and you just want to curl up in a ball and cry for weeks.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:45 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• i agree with some of the other moms keep going to the childrens stuff and maybe join some kinda club for you where you live...book club,crafters club, or maybe take a class in something your intersted in you'd meet people who like what you like
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2010