formula feeding queston...

my son is 5 weeks old how much formula should he be eating???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How much is he eating? Go by that because thats what he needs. Babies will eat until they are satisfied or full not until they are stuffed or over fed.
    cherrygirl87

Answer by cherrygirl87 at 12:56 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• as much as he wants.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 1:01 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• It should give a recommendation on the can. Formula fed babies can and sometimes do over eat.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:05 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• 2 to 3 oz of formula. Try 2oz first. If he sucks it down then try 3oz. (1 and a half scoops) and continue on like that. Do not try to force him to up the amount. If he is happy with 2oz then stick with that for a week and then try again for the 3oz. My son is 7 months (second child) and eating 5 to 6oz. (he just started real food too) but my first was eating the same oz for his age, (4mo= 4oz, 7mo = 7oz.) it is different for all kids. don't worry about him eating more than a breast fed child. that wont start happening untill he is in his toddler years and that is all portion control.

My doctor told me that as long as they eat something, at a regular time (my eldest is a grazer and not fat at all) and are happy then you are doing a good job.
    Micheleh04

Answer by Micheleh04 at 1:26 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I have to agree with "Micheleh04" - that's basically how I did it. If they finish the whole bottle then for the next feeding I just put in another ounce or half ounce to make sure they were getting all they need. My kids started big and I don't ever remember them taking less the 3 oz at a time. By 6 months were they eating up to 7-8 oz. a feeding.I think my son topped out at 10-11 oz.... but he was born hungry (true story). Both my kids were on formula by 6 weeks and neither of them are, or ever were, overweight - so over eating was not a problem.
    Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:53 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• usually about 2 to 4 ounces every 3 to 4 hours. Be careful not to give too much they will over eat and then barf that is no fun at all.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:35 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• right now my son will be a month old on thursday and he is eating 4 oz. every 3 hours.
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 9:29 AM on Jan. 24, 2010