No signs of labor... lots of questions!!!!

Im 39 weeks pregnant today and have not had any signs whatsoever (aside from excess discharge which im not sure is a sign) of labor. I dont think the baby has even dropped yet. While many of my online buddies have had braxton hicks, cramping and other symptoms... I have nothing. I have sex 3-4 times a week and no fake labor pains at all. I clean, do lots of walking and nothing!!
I see my doc on Monday but have missed my weekly apt's twice so my cervix hasn't been checked.
What are the chances that Ill go into labor by the end of the week with no signs so far? Is it likely that Ill be overdue?
Can I/should I ask to be induced(I start college in 3 weeks)?
Any and all help/advice is appreciated! Thanks a lot guys!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I never had my cervix checked with my pregnancies~ there is no reason. ;-) It will not tell anyone any information they can use...

You do not need to have any signs of labor before going into it.
    It does not mean you'll go past your EDD (40 weeks) or or overdue (42 weeks).

If it's your first, it may be helpful to know the average gestation is 41 weeks, 1 day.
    You WILL go into labor eventually! :-D

You never need to be induced unless you/baby are having complications (not because of "supposed" complications).
    You always get to decide~ make sure your choices are well-informed, though.

Good luck! :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:58 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• First - Are you crazy?!? going to college and having a baby at the same time? Take the year off or at least a semester. You will have no time or energy to go to school.

Both of my kids were 2 weeks late even when I was enduced. with my second so dont worry.
    With my first I was in labor for 2 days before I ent in and was only diolated to 1cm.

If there was a problem your doctor would bring up enducement, but they usually waith untill you are 2 weeks past to even schedule it.

And don't believe the sex thing, it was made up by men. reserve your streingth you will need all you can get.

Walking is the best you can do. It really propelled my second labor.

Don't worry, would you be in a hurry to leave a warm, safe and loved place for this bright and cold one. Your baby is happy and well cared for right now.

You will be fine and good luck.
    Micheleh04

Answer by Micheleh04 at 1:18 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Babe your worrying and your not even over due. Relax and enjoy it. Oh and sex brought on labor for me...KEEP YOUR DOCTORS APPOINTMENTS they are very important..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• 1) I had absolutly no signs of labor until I went to the hospital for having the flu. I started having contractions in the parking garage, and he was born 4 hours later. He was born 56 minutes before my due date. lol

2) You can have a baby and go to school. My daughter was just over 1 when I started school, and my son was born 3 months ago. Granted, I am doing it online. Dont give it up. You will be glad down the road.

Good luck!!
    livingrlovesong

Answer by livingrlovesong at 2:03 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Yeah I never felt the Braxton Hicks contractions with my first pregnancy either, it' because you don't know what the heck you're looking for and if they aren't painful or uncomfortable (like mine were) you'll never even know they're there. The only thing checking your cervix does is get you all excted and then let you down because you could be eighty percent effaced and one centimeter dialated for weeks before anything ever happened. Unprotected sex CAN bring on labor but you have to have sex three to four times a day and relax in a reclined position for an entire day for it to help you at all, most of the time it's just a coincidence if a woman goes into labor after having sex. Also I have to point out that it's going to be REALLY hard to have a newborn and go to college, you may want to look into taking a semester off because most day cares don't even take children until they're six weeks old anyways.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Having sex works because semen is a natural prostgladin which ripens the cervix and makes it dialte easier, and orgasms can bring on contractions. Anywho you may have no signs then bam your in labor and the baby come right away, or not. Do not get enduced unless there is a problem enducement usually leads to a c section and that is awful. Also I agree you should take the semester off, day care can't take a baby before 6 weeks of age, and you need 6 weeks to heal fully yourself, and you will be so sleep deprived. I just would take some time off and spend it with your new bundle of joy. Good luck and congrats.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:32 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• NO you shouldnt ask to be induced you are 39 weeks!!! I was 40 weeks exactly when I started ANY labor symptoms with my son. I had NOTHING the whole pregnancy. LAte in the after noon on my due date I started labor and 3 days later I had my son.
    Dont be selfish , BEsides if you havent started labor at all induction would be stupid., NOTHING works if your body hasnt started already even medical induction. You would most likely end in csection. Just wait it out. NOT every pregnancy is the same. DONT compare your self to others
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I had to be induced my son just didn't want to come out and they thought he was to big to keep until he was ready. This is a choice that worked for me but may or may not be the right decision for you. Talk with your dr to see what he/she recommends also try not to miss this appointment. At this stage in the game these appointments are VERY important for both you and your baby. You would also have a better clue as to what is going on. As for college is this semester the right time to go? Think about it this way I am going to assume this is your first child but You will have a 3week old baby who is going to need round the clock full time care and not sleep through the night this means you will likely be sleep deprived like most new moms and won't have time for school work and studying... There is always next semester...When checking out of the hosp there was a girl there who was in college and had a final that day. good luck!
    marisa36

Answer by marisa36 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 24, 2010