My 2 year old dd...

She just got over a double ear infection and bad chest cold. She was on amoxacillin(sp) for 10 days, and some cold meds. Any how, she finished the antibotic a week ago, and 3 days ago broke out in hives in her girly parts. I took her to the doctor today, he gave her a script for a cream to cure a yeast infection, told me to buy some benadryl for the itching and give her motrin...Does that sound right.? He told me to give her a 1/2 teaspoon of benadryl every 4 hours, and it knocks her out sometimes...Am I doing the right thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A similar thing happened to my son when he was 2. It turned out to be an alergic reaction to the amozaxyllin. I had to do the same thing. Make sure you are using childrens benadryl. If you are concerend about her falling asleep talk to your doctor. As long as she is easy (or normal) to wake then there is no real problem.
    Micheleh04

Answer by Micheleh04 at 1:09 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• OP here...I bought childrens motrin and childrens benadryl. After I gave her the first dose of benadryl, she rubbed her eyes for awhile, then the 2nd dose, knocked her out for 3 hours..lol but also she had no nap, maybe thats why she napped so long?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Everything your ped told you to do sounds normal. Just make triple sure you are giving the correct dosages.....
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 2:06 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• what the dr said is right ........................antibiotics can cause a disruption of the bacteria and this causes the yeast infections............you can also give yougurt with the live bacteria and it will help too. as for the benadryl it does cause drowsyness and you should expect her to be sleepy but not overly so.......... it sounds like you are doing everything right. hang in there and she will be back toher old self in a ffew days.............:)
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 3:07 AM on Jan. 24, 2010