How do I save more money on groceries?

Do I really need to cut coupons? or is there a better way? Is Aldi's any good? Buying in bulk? I need all your saving secrets ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• We're on a TIGHT budget. I buy ground beef and frozen chicken, frozen veggies (they're just as good as fresh), and started making casseroles and slow cooker recipes.
    I don't cut coupons. Instead I go to Costco or the grocery store with a list and I don't stray from the list. Create a menu for the week to have an idea of what you'll need. This will avoid food going bad.
    Good luck! So far, we're living at our means :)
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:45 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• i agree with vero0724 you have to create your menu for the whole week. and i've been trying doing that. It's just more of the time can't keep with. but try it it really helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• i make a list of the things that i need, then i go online and find coupons for at least some of the things on my list, then i go to the supermarket where they do double coupons up to $.99. Example. I bought malt o meal cereal on sale for $1.99, i had a coupon for $.75 off, doubled i got it for $.49. A coupon for 4C bread crumbs for $.50 and the bread crumbs were $.99, got it for free. I did that once for almost all of my grocery list and the bill came up to $189.00 and by the time the cashier was done scanning my coupons, the total went down to $72.00, my dh's mouth dropped and he never made fun of my coupon clipping again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• oh also, cut down on meat, make more vegetarian meals and buy chicken, its cheaper. I like ground meat too but not that often, but i'll buy a big pack on sale for $6 and I divide it and i can get 3 meals out of that when i make it with pasta or shepherds pie.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• We buy only whats on sale unless we really need it like milk. I love the planning the meal idea.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 3:07 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home

This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:41 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:42 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner. Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries & whole grain cereal; veggies omelettes with a bit of cheese & whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make & freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie(you know who you are) , when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.

Go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons, eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry). Most important, buy only what is on your list. The specials at the store are not to save you money, they are to get you to buy items that you don't need. If you won't use it in 3 week, don't buy it!

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:44 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

• Some tips from someone who averages $90/wk for a family of 6. (That includes paper products, toiletries, pet food and diapers) Invest in a deep freezer. When things go on sale, stock up. Stores run sales on 12 week cycles. When something goes on sale for a really good price, and you know you'll use it, buy enough to last for 12 weeks. Use coupons. Coupons are really worth it if you can keep track. Especially with so many stores doing double and triple coupons. Take advantage.

Calculate your price per unit. Sometimes the smaller item with the lesser price is more expensive. (Example a 24 oz can of chicken broth is cheaper at $1.29 than the 15 oz can at 89¢) Compare the store brand to name brands that are on sale. A lot of times I have found that a name brand product on sale, combined with a coupon is actually cheaper than the store brand. Take a calculator with you. It is also good to make a list and stick with it.
    AMBG825

Answer by AMBG825 at 7:16 AM on Jan. 24, 2010