Feeling Discouraged.

I've been trying to lose weight for a few weeks now. So far, I've lost ten pounds and have been following my diet to the "t". I keep gaining weight though and it's very discouraging. It almost makes me want to give up on my goal. I've only been at this for about a month.. I need advice cause I refuse to be fat all my life.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• sounds good op! well then don't give up! keep on keeping on! try not to be discouraged...think of it as a 7 lb loss for the month, that is great!!!! expect more plateaus in the future and try not to let them get you discouraged, but rather encouraged to keep going! clothes will start fitting differently, don't worry! have you tried a tape measure? i have seen inches lost in a month where no lbs were lost!
    good luck and keep it up!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:02 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• you have lost 10 lbs in about a month?? that is great! are you exercising??? that is the key... it will get easier. the more you lose the easier it will be to exercise. it will snowball. keep up the work and remember.. it will be so worth it when you are skinny and hot!
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 1:31 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I have donethe same thing and it is completely normal, here is what happened with me started at 213 went down to 207 then a few days later i was up to 210 then at my weekly weigh in a few days after that i was 205.

Make sure you weigh yourself the same time of day every time and try to wear the same clothes. keep in mind how heavy jeans are if you wear them on the scale. Also if you are building muscle remember that it does add weight for short periods of time when you are losing weight while building your muscle. Other things that can tip the scale are bowel movements( gross I know but it is true) eating a meal just before weigh in and drinking too much water. Also I noticed that once i started watching my sodium intake closer that the scale didnt vary quite as much as it did the first two weeks.

Keep it up its a long road but every pound that comes off is worth it :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:42 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• It took 4 months before I saw a difference. Your weight can flucuate throughout the day which why it is important to weigh yourself only once a week.
    It takes 3 to 4 months to begin building muscle and you have to be doing strength training exercises for this to happen.
    The weight your are seeing on the scale is most likely water weight. Water weight can be controlled by drinking water. It is caused by the sodium in your cells. Drinking water flushes the sodium out.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 5:28 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• You have only been at it a month,give it time.How do your clothes feel?Inches are just as important as pounds.Success should not be measured by the scale alone.Keep drinking water,working out and making healthy food choices and you will lose the weight.
    Nattiesmom9603

Answer by Nattiesmom9603 at 6:25 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Remember, lose it fast, gain it fast. 1-2 pounds a week is healthy and sustainable.I hope that you have made lifestyle changes, rather than dieting.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:40 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• switch it up - sounds like you hit a plateau.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:09 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• to lose 10 lbs in a few weeks is a lot, how much have you gained? what is your diet like? what is your exercise plan like?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:37 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• (OP)Well, I want to lose 50 lbs. I lost 10 lbs in a month because I've been exercising and following a strict 1500 calories a day. I don't consider this a diet, I consider it a lifestyle change. I eat wayyyy better than I ever did and love it so far, it's just been very discouraging to have gained 3 lbs's back. I alternate my exercises. I do pilates on day, stationary bike the next and strength training twice a week. It's kind of exhausting, but I do feel better about myself. My clothes aren't fitting that much better which is another reason I'm kinda sad. This losing weight thing is such a b*tch! Lol.
    Anonymous

• This is a lifestyle change you want to make, so you are in it for the long haul, continue going, you did great on loosing 10 pounds, weigh yourself once a week, use your clothes as a way to see/feel results, use a tape measure you will see inches lost.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2010