Are you parents still married or are they no longer together? Do you mirror their ethics?

Do you think your are more apt to mirror your parents relationship and ethics? I find myself to have the same thoughts on things as my parents do the older I get.

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 3:46 AM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My parents were married until my dad passed away in 05. So 21 yrs total. I guess you could say I mirror their ethics. I've been married almost 10yrs and don't plan on ever getting a divorce. My hubby was A LOT like my dad which is kind of strange and heart warming all at once?!
    bgcmommy

Answer by bgcmommy at 3:53 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I use mine as the guide of what not to do, they weren't the best at well most things. They rented until a few years before I moved out, they weren't married to each other, I have 3 sisters and 1 brother and none of us have the same 2 parents, my parents used to as the make them look good kid, once I turned 12 they grounded me every year over my BDAY so they wouldn't have to do anything for it, they searched all of my things daily with no reason to do so, I was never allowed to go anywhere or do anything except for sports school and work, they liked the bad boyfriends and fprbade the only good one because of small town rumors(lies) They made me pay for college myself I had to go or they would take my car that was in their name, they would use inappropriate physical punishment. I could go on, my entire family was pretty crappy and I learned from them how to be different and better. I have a family full of drunks and druggies.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:54 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I just look at everything that happened around me as a reverse guide to how to have a good well rounded life. I was the first college grad, got married after college, had a career, got pregnant, and now I stay at home. We own our own home at age 26 and 24. My parents were against marriage, I am not. I will have all my kids by the same father, at least that is the plan for now which I am sure won't change. I will communicate with my children instead of tell them how to be and live, my kids will do chores but not all of them. I did everything from age 13 on I cooked, cleaned, laundry, you name it I did it they did nothing "that's what kids are for" was their answer. I grew up to be a pretty level person considering I was molested when I was a preschooler, then my better parent got custody and raised me with his GF who I call my mom because the other was just an egg donor who let her husband prey on me and my sister.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:59 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Then the parents that raised me did so by the iron fist literally, and then used me to take care of them. It is nice to be able to do better by my kids and family, I am very certain of my life's path and the right way because I saw the wrong up close.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:00 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Truealaskanmom, I am sitting here with my mouth wide open. I honestly don't know what to say to all that :(
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 4:09 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Yeah it is one heck of a life, but I came out of it head first and I believe I have one heck of a good head on my shoulders, I have a bit of a temper at times but you're gonna have something negative come from a life like that. I just think of how much I need to love my kids so they never feel like I did. I am a lot older than my actual age because of it all, and sometimes that sucks, and I wish I could be a normal 26 year old at times. I just roll with whatever life gives me I of all people know that nothing is an impossible situation.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:33 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Alaskanmom: Thank you for sharing your story! I love how you have taken life and made it wonderful for yourself. You are truly someone to be admired and who we all can look up to. I hope you know that, and remember it everyday.

ronjwake: As for your question, yes. My parents have been together for 32 years now. They show an incredible amount of love and respect for each other. I try hard to have the same values and morals that they do. They are the exact model that I use in my daily life as a mother and a wife.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 5:04 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Im so far away from my parents "ethics" They divorced right after I was born, but stayed together, having two more children. My mom never worked or cleaned a day in my life, both did drugs. My dad said he wanted her to leave but she never would, finally when she went to jail for drugs he moved to a different state, leaving me to care for my younger brothers for 3 months. I am happil married, have never done drugs, take care of my child. So no I definitly do NOT mirror my parents ethics or lack there of.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:46 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• my parents are still married and i am divorced @shrug@
    faerie75

Answer by faerie75 at 6:08 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• My parents have been married since 1973. Their marriage has weathered some SERIOUS trials and tribulations. I get my "stand by your man" attitude FROM my mother...Most women would have left my man a LONG time ago.
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 6:58 AM on Jan. 24, 2010