how can i get my two years old to use the potty?????????

my little girl dose not want to use the potty and im going nuts, i well keep asking her all day do you have to go pee pee? and she well say no. i dont have the money and i just want her to get it. is she to little? and if not how can i get her to do it in the potty?

jeonit24

Asked by jeonit24 at 7:10 AM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Here's what I did (my daughter is younger and not fully potty trained, but getting there and is very interested).
    I let her pick out a potty that she likes "froggy potty". Then every morning when she wakes up, we walk into the bathroom and I sit on the toilet while she sits on her froggy potty and I give her a special potty book that I bought only for peeing and pooping. We sit until she goes, or until she has at least tried to go. Then if she has peed/pooped in the potty, I make a really big elaborate deal about it "YAY JAZZIE!!!!" and she gets to run around naked for half an hour or so. If she didn't go, I thank her for trying, tell her she's a big girl, and put a diaper on her. She's 16 months and potties every single morning, and sometimes at night. We RUN for the potty when she hs to go!
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 3:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• You do not ask her. You tell her. "Time to go potty". then bring her to the toilet every hour. Sit her on it and tell her to go pee/potty. Do this tell she understands this is where you go potty at.

Answer by louise2 at 7:15 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I think she is most likely too young they don't usually understand until after they are 2, and usually aren't fully trained until about 3.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:27 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• This is something I did that helped me. I was fortunate to be home with my son in the early years so I had lots of time on my hands to experiment with potty training . This really worked for me and I still tell this story. I purchased a potty chair and sat it where I was during the day. Of course, my child was right there next to me, everywhere I was he was, so this worked excellent. I put long shirt (knee length or so) on him with no undies. Once I noticed he had to go I would quickly help him to the potty. I cant believe how fast he learned by doing this. let me know if it helps. :)
    tmeabout

Answer by tmeabout at 7:38 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• im having the same problem
    crzemom

Answer by crzemom at 9:02 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I agree with first poster, don't ask, tell. If you only give her the option to go to the potty then she will catch on. Try letting her run around the house naked (from the waist down) She is old enough to understand and you may be surprised at how quickly she will catch on when she has no diaper to go in and has no choice but to go to a potty.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 10:26 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• This may sound odd to some people but children learn by copying... You use the toilet. And say look I'm using the big potty! I know I sound insane. Then show her, her potty... Do this when you can. And routinely put her on it to get her used to it. If she sits on it, without you asking praise her. If she wees/poos praise her. ETC. This worked the two times I've done it. Both my 6yr old and my 3yr old were dry very quickly. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• She just may not be ready. Wait a few months, and try again.
    My daughter was reading and tying her shoes long before she was out of diapers at four.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:14 AM on Jan. 24, 2010