My son is 10 months old and STILL does not sleep through the night! Any suggestions??

He eats cereal (oatmeal) usually before bed and always a 6oz bottle. He is up as many as 4 times a night sometimes!! He usually wants a bottle, then he's back to sleep. I tried the "let him cry it out" thing, and he just screams and screams.... which isn't fair to my 6 year old he wakes up who has to go to school in the morning. I'm desperate!! I'm so tired of feeling exhausted all the time from not sleeping. Oh, and he hardly naps during the day either.... Sometimes only like a half hour to and hour nap, if that.... Help!! lol

liltoke926

Asked by liltoke926 at 9:03 AM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How do you feel about a pacifier? Maybe rock him with a pacifier until he falls back to sleep so he will not expect food throughout the night??? I feel your pain, I have a four month old that has been screeching in the middle of the night and I have a four year old. My baby doesn't sleep too much during the day either. Maybe two hours throughout the day, twenty minutes at a time.... Hang in there sweetie, your not alone!
    Mameech1

Answer by Mameech1 at 9:12 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• sorry - wish I could help - my 6 1/2 yr old still doesnt sleep through the night...
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:17 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• He uses a pacifier and sometimes I do rock him with that if he gets up and has just drank a bottle not long before.... But he's still up LOTS through the night. I think he'd be exhausted from not sleeping at night and hardly napping all day. He must not require as much sleep as mommy does! lol. Thanks so much for answering though, I need all the suggestions I can get! :) And I hope you both start getting some sleep soon also!
    liltoke926

Answer by liltoke926 at 9:26 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Some babies just don't require as much sleep as others. He sounds just like my DD when she was that age. There really is nothing you can do that make a baby sleep through the night. Just give it time and he will start sleeping through the night on his own. My DD was just a little over a year before she did.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 9:28 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• What time does he go to bed? What time do you try to put him down for a nap in the morning (how long after he wakes up)? Babies who go to bed earlier tend to sleep better and longer. And often, that morning nap can be started within an hour and a half of waking up. Waiting until they are overtired to put them down for naps or bed will make it difficult for them to fall asleep. Having a set routine and a consistent time for naps and bedtime can help immensely! Also, having a lovey - - a small stuffed animal or blanket - - will help them to self soothe. If he doesn't have one, pick something small and cuddley and start putting it with him in the car and in bed and keeping it close when he plays - it will take some time, but it can help a lot in the long run.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 10:17 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I would recommend The No Cry Sleep Solution. It is a book, but you can read most of it for free online! It works wonderfully.
    AutymsMommy

Answer by AutymsMommy at 10:20 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Honey, My 2 1/2 year old doesn't sleep though the night yet... Never has. Neither does my almost 4 year old...

Some kids don't till they are much older.

My sister didn't start sleeping all night til she was a teenager.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:58 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• It may take several more months. You have a normal baby.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:10 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Do you feed him real food? If not he's probably hungry. If that doesn't work my son was almost a year until he slept through the night in his own bed. I bought this little magical machine from target. It projects pictures on the ceiling and plays music. Since the day we put that in his room he's slept through the night.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 11:12 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• It's normal for children to wake at night until they are 3. It is hard wired in their brain for survival. Throughout time babies have breastfed and slept next to their mothers. Babies and mothers smell each other's pheromones and get on similar sleep cycles and when baby wakes the mother is in a light sleep. By the time a baby is 10 months old a baby can usually find the breast on it's own and the mother may not fully wake. Mothers in traditional cultures don't feel sleepy because of baby's night waking and nursing.

Babies also wake to make sure they aren't alone. It's important for them to be with their mothers and have an irritating cry if they find themselves alone. Still in most places mothers breastfeed and sleep with their babies. Artificial feeding and sleeping in cribs alone is a recent social experiment. Some babies are not amused and you are trying to fight biology.

My 3 didn't sleep through until they were 3.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 12:32 PM on Jan. 24, 2010