My baby is 8 weeks old and she poops like every four days. You can tell it is painful, so i am sure it is constipation. We have her on Nestle Good Start Gentle, but we have tried soy and no difference. We are now giving her some applesauce with her whole grain cereal in the evening. She was constipated before the cereal. And we are giving her prune juice once a day. What else can I do? Is this normal?

Constipation, uncomfortable pooping, whole grain cereal

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Poor baby! My 4 month old went through and is going through that. Try a bottle of warm water. I also eventually gave her a baby suppository wich seemed to help her so much.  Also a neighbor told me to take a cloth and wrap it around her belly under her clothes to keep it tight and warm.  It seemed to soothe my baby...

Mameech1

Answer by Mameech1 at 9:16 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• talk to her doc, and she is too young for cereal imo
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:16 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• i would stop the cereal though, cause it caused my son to be constipated when we first gave it to him,. he was like 4 months i think, but I woul take her to see her ped. cause you dont want the poor thing in pain :[ oh, my grandmother told me while their pooing, to take their legs, and strtch em up to their chest, and it helps them, i never tried it, but she had 6 kids so she's experienced lol. good luck,
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 9:22 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Have you tought about using a more gental forumla? My DD was the same way and she also had acid reflux. I tried enfamil gentlease for gassesness and fussness and i saw a difference with in two days with the bowel movements and her acid reflux. It may also be right around the same price as what you have been using. I would give it a try for a week and see what happens if not talk with your childs doctor about anything else you can do. GL.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:33 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Stop the cereal, apple sauce and prune juice, she's too little for any of that. Talk to her doctor as well. You may have to use a gentle suppository to help get things moving again but I wouldn't try it until you talked to a professional.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 9:34 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I warmed up dark Karo syrup in the bottle with formula or water. Always worked. I have four kids. All of my girls would get constipated. My son would get tummy aches and it always soothed his tummy. My MIL told me about it. I told the dr, he said it was fine and I could go ahead and do it. The docs don't tell you about the ole wive's remedies. But with my doc, if I ask him about them, he will tell me if they work or not. Maybe a tablespoon of Karo or just enough to cover the bottom of the bottle. I would warm that up before I added the mlk, water, or juice. It would mix better that way.
    DeannaR4

Answer by DeannaR4 at 9:35 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• i have to agree with mama's who are saying stop cereal, apple sauce and juice. She is way too young for all of that. I would talk to her Ped right away being constipated for only 4 days is not an issue but the painful part is. You may have to switch formula's.
    angelbabies14

Answer by angelbabies14 at 9:44 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• She's not too young for prune juice, my son was on it from about 2 weeks old, on the doctor's orders for constipation. However, the cereal and applesauce can make constipation worse. My son still gets constipated, he has low muscle tone and can't push the poop out really well. He's five now and takes Miralax almost daily to help, it's just starting to get better. I would take her to the doctor and have them do a GI work-up to make sure there's not something else wrong though. Good Luck
    shannipoo714

Answer by shannipoo714 at 9:47 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I'd stop the solids and see if that helps. If the poop is not dry, hard or pellet like, then it's not constipation.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:55 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Also, just as an FYI, Karo is NOT recommended for infants, the Karo website even specifies that. There is a slight risk of it carrying botulism spores, just like why you don't give honey to infants. I would NOT recommend this.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:57 AM on Jan. 24, 2010