How long is too long for a 3yo to be under anesthesia?

My daugher needs caps on her teeth and the dentist wants to use anesthesia. With all the work they have to do he said up to 2 hours. That sounded long to me. Is it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Talk to the dentist. Or, if he doesn't do the anesthesia himself, talk to the person who does. They are trained in all this, in knowing not only how long someone can go under but how much to use. They should be able to relieve your concerns. If they can't or won't, then I'd consider talking to another dentist first before you go forward with it. Another possibility would be to see if he'd be willing to break it up into a couple of sessions, so that she's not under all at once.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:22 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• My daughter had to be put under for surgery's and for dental work. Just talk to the anesthesiologist, but no that really isn't long to be put under. My nephew was under for even longer than that for his last surgery.
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 2:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• My son was under for about 3 hours when he had to have surgery on two occasions. I was terrified the first time and just very scared the last time. It took him a while to recover, but it went very well.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 7:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2010