no over-easy eggs? anyone else get told this?

my doctor didn't tell me this but when i went to the WIC office last week they told me no over-easy eggs, the yolk has to be broken and completely cooked because of bacteria. what the heck! I had just had over-easy eggs twice that week, and now i really want them and know i'm not supposed to have them. and no lunch meat unless you heat it up to steaming hot, this gets more complicated all the time. what have you been told that isn't allowed?

beck_9808

Asked by beck_9808 at 9:26 AM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes, I was told that wasn't allowed and no sushi, no tuna or any fish with lots of mercury, no soft cheeses like mexican cheese.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 9:31 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• OMG! seriously... research your own food...

they say no eggs this way, NOT because there is bacteria IN it, but ON it...unfortunately they preach to the masses, who simply are inept and can not grasp the concept. WASH it before you crack it, and then you could eat it raw if you wanted to. the % chance of getting food poisoning from an undercooked egg is 1000% (that is 10 times) lower than getting it from ground beef- either from a restaurant, or cooked at home.

cheeses are FINE, again, ANY CHEESE PRODUCED IN THE US HAS BEEN MADE FROM PASTEURIZED MILK. If it has been imported, and has been made from Raw milk, it must legally bear a label stating that it was made from raw milk.

Fish should be limited to 2x a week, and the % chance of encountering a potentially harmful parasite in uncooked fish, is again, so low that it is negotiable... you have a higher chance of getting it from cold cuts... but you'll still eat subway!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:39 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Yeah, what Obby said. I have consumed sushi, medium-rare beef and cookie dough (hmmm....cookie dough). I just don't freaking worry about it. =)
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 10:29 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• yeah it has to do with salmonilla but if you read a "good" book like Husband Coached Childbirth that is not a diet restriction there has never been a link from under cooked egg to fetal salmonilla NEVER-- there Is a link in young children (age 2-5 getting salmonilla from over easy eggs BUT NOT PREGNANT women
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:45 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

cheeses are FINE, again, ANY CHEESE PRODUCED IN THE US HAS BEEN MADE FROM PASTEURIZED MILK.

Thanks, I could not have said it better myself!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• i eat them that way i just wash the outside like everyone else has said and meats i have never worried abot it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• WIC is a government funded agency......you're getting a form of government assistance and they're going to put their 2 cents in because HA they can......You know what I do? Agree with everything and tell them sure I'll have no over easy eggs, of course I do this and that. I'm 30 my children are healthy, I'm healthy my family is healthy. We havent gotten sick for ages and I'm not about to be told how and what to eat by some "nutritionist" appointed by the state. My job is in social services so I know most of these individuals are just trained to say what they say. They read a book and do their job. You're an adult and unless you see some severe negative side effects with the way you're doing things, don't bother with anyone elses input. Just nod and smile !! :)
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• There is no government conspriacy in what WIC is advising, despite what you read here. You will find what you need to know about what not to eat in a pregnancy book. It's not stupid to follow the advice about not eating over easy eggs, that is just common sense pregnant or not, the rest about not eating soft cheese no matter if it's from here or not, no raw fish and only cooked meat. But you can do whatever you want. You should remember that just because some people on the internet, will tell you they did whatever they wanted and ignored intelligent advice and scientific fact doesn't mean you will be so lucky. Pregnancy is not about what you want. It's about what is best for you baby but by all means, so as you wish.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• oh please.. as long as youre not chugging chemicals, eat what you want. If pregnant women didnt eat everything they werent supposed to, they'd be eating like freaking rabbits.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:09 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I ate lunch meat all the time with my kids. No problems. I just ate what I wanted to when I was pregnant, if you want eggs, then eat eggs. You want a cold meat sandwich, then eat a sandwich. If you stress about everything you are or aren't suppose to eat then you are going to start effecting your health.
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 11:36 AM on Jan. 24, 2010