Atheists

Atheists: If your teen aged or adult child decided to join a religion - Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, whateverism - would you be upset or would you accept their choice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I wouldn't be upset... I'd be happy if they were happy. As it should be!!! :O)
    lara_b

Answer by lara_b at 10:09 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I view the perceived "need" for religion as a mental disorder. The desire to believe in things that are not real. So I would naturally seek to find a root cause for this "need" first through therapy, and find out what was causing it... HOWEVER, ultimately they are their own person, with their own needs, their own views of society, and reality, and far be it from me to impose myself into their beliefs system.
    It is my job to protect them (as children) from harm, which is what I am doing by limiting their religious exposure (as much as it CAN be, since "believers' on the warpath are EVERYWHERE). Once they are grown beyond the borders of my safety net I have NO say in their involvement with religion. That is SOLELY their decision, and though I will be saddened if this occurs, I will simply accept it as another facet of their being.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:15 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I'd support them and accept whatever spiritualism speaks to them. I would never, ever make them feel bad for having their own spiritual path to walk. I know how that feels, why would I do it to them?!!!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:15 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I agree with Obby to an extent. I don't think I'd do therapy or anything, but I would definitely ask what got into her. Other than that, I'd tell her to have fun with her chosen path. As long as she doesn't come home telling me *I'm* wrong, I can't stop her from discovering her own path.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:30 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• no, It's her choice to make. I can't change what she believes, nor would i want to. It makes her who she is as an individual. She's being raised to respect and learn a number of religions (since our family is full of different religions) and when she is older, she is welcome to become more apart of any of them as she would like.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:37 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I have two grown DD's They both are religious now. No it does not bother me if they are religious. That is their choice.

Answer by louise2 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• sahmamax2- "I'd support them and accept whatever spiritualism speaks to them. I would never, ever make them feel bad for having their own spiritual path to walk. I know how that feels, why would I do it to them?!!! "

This is pretty much the same for me. I encourage my kids to learn about other ideas and religions and to question things and research them. If they do that, whatever they decide makes them happy -I will be good with. : )
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:13 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• i would support them even if it was Christianity.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Honestly, I'd be a little disappointed but as long as they didn't try to convert me or get fanatical then I'm fine with whatever they choose if it brings them some kind of peace.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:50 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I view the perceived "need" for religion as a mental disorder. The desire to believe in things that are not real. So I would naturally seek to find a root cause for this "need" first through therapy, and find out what was causing it...
    -------------------------------------

So you believe that the millions of people that believe in God have a mental disorder? There are doctors that perform heart surgery that believe in God, they have a mental disorder too?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jan. 24, 2010