Friends and Friendship... What is the point?

I used to be friends with a couple called Kelly and 'Baggy'. Kelly sent me a nasty message at 2AM on FB. Calling me immature, and that I should tell her if I have a problem with her, you can tell by the way it's typed that she was drunk.
When we were friends, she used me, and I stopped wasting my credit on her ages ago, she never text me to ask how I was. She just sent chain messages, but told me she never had money for credit!!! I'd given her so much, kids clothes, toys etc. And we got nothing in return. Everytime we went round they'd make us feel unwanted and tell us that they'd have to go out. When we'd only just got there, when they'd said they'd be in all day! I was very confused at Kelly's and Baggy's behaviour and just stopped texting them. She had her baby, and never text me or Luke. She never said thank you for anything we did. Even helping them move house!!! I felt used so did my Hubby.

lara_b

Asked by lara_b at 10:07 AM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• yes, move on. you apparently are too nice and more aware of what a real friendship should be. i know it's hard because you hate to lose a friend, but it's better for you to cut ties. sorry.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 10:17 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• They were very rude about my hubby too, saying he went on and on and was too clever!
    I just don't get any of this. I helped her out, I was her friend... Maybe I should have said to her face, yeah you're a useless friend and frankly a b*tch. I suppose I just wanted to forget about her and Baggy. It's been months... Why would she contact me now? It's very strange. She was four kids, you'd think she's put them first. Her BF has sent me a friend request too. Very odd.
    (Ran out of space)
    lara_b

Answer by lara_b at 10:08 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Then let it go. They aren't worth your time. You and your hubby can find better and real true caring friends they are not the only people that you have to be friends with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I agree with the pp, I'd cut all contact. Even if she sends you more e-mails, I'd just delete them and stick to the no contact rule. She and her husband are toxic people and you'll be better off IMO.

-xoxo-

Answer by -xoxo- at 10:14 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Delete them off your FB... you are better off without people like that in your life. GL.
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 10:27 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• There's an old saying that goes--

"There are friends for a season, and friends for a reason."

Sounds like these "friends" of yours were the "seasonal" or "short term" variety, and were not being true with you. The friends who understand and support you through thick and thin are the ones you have for a reason! :o)

I can say that in my 40+ years on this planet, I have but TWO friends that I would consider to be friends for a reason--and they are from my childhood. The rest were seasonal friends that came and went.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:33 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• certainly delete her from your FB and forget them. You wasted your time on people who don't deserve your kindness....she was never a friend. A true friend will appreciate your time and attention. Those two sound like leaches not friends....
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 10:34 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Time to let them go/cut your losses. Hope you have better luck with other friendss.

Answer by louise2 at 10:43 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I'd tell her what you've told us. That you and your hubby felt used, and unwanted except when it was convenient and that you've reached the point of it not being something you want to continue with but you wish her, her spouse and their children the best.
    Every relationship needs closure and you telling her would maybe help her to recognize what's wrong and be a better friend to someone else.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 11:10 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• i knew people like that. I say you just cut your losses and most important do not spend another second thinking about them trust me they are not thinking about you. Grieve your loss and move on.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 24, 2010