Theists

Theists: If your teen aged or adult child decided to leave the religion you brought them up in - to another religion or to atheism - would you be upset or would you accept their choice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It would for sure prompt some serious discussion in my house. Why? Why the new path? etc. But ultimately you have to respect their decision. Especially in the case of any adult child. Mostly the same w/ a teen, but he/she would still be required to attend our family church w/ us as a family member. He/She is still a minor, our house our rules sort of thing. She/He wouldnt necessarily have to participate but has to go w/ us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I would want to know why they are making the decision, but in the end it is their decision and I will respect that.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 10:23 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I'm Shinto, and if my children decided that they wanted to believe whatever it is they chose I would appreciate their choice and love for them to share their knowledge.....I spent so long studying religion and each one is a personal devotion and choice....I can appreciate each for the humility, compassion and humanity they each teach us.
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 10:30 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Once she's an adult...whatever religion she chooses I will support 100%.

(Only rule is...no proselytizing)
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:29 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I would accept it. Faith is a journey and people need to find their own way after a time.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• yes, i would be upset. would i accept it?...i wouldn't have a choice to accept or not. whatever he decides, would be totally on him. i'd continue to pray for him, and to seek wisdom regarding our family as a whole.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Id accept their choice.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I would be terribly upset. I would accept them of course, but I would never be "okay" with their choice.

While I would refuse to nag, argue with them, or push them away because of their choice. I would live the rest of my life on my knees praying for them come to the Lord and worship Him in Spirit and truth.

In order to understand why I can't be okay with it, you would have to understand that I believe that there is only ONE way to God and salvation and that is through Jesus Christ. And I believe in Hell. What kind of parent that believes hell exists would want their kid to go there?
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:41 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Of course I would accept it. I'm not a dictating barbarian. I would want to know why they felt the need to change, but that's it. It's THEIR life, heart, soul, etc. and not my place to make them worship as I do. First of all, they would be faking it, and that's just pointless. Second, no amount of me making them worship as I do will make them change their mind about their new found path. They found it for a reason.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2010