I just found a perfect fit for a part-time job online, and the employer really wants to hire me. When should I tell her I am pregnant?

My belly is too big to hide, and we have only corresponded through email so far.

LittleGee

Asked by LittleGee at 10:34 AM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• You should tell her now. She cant deny you a job just because you are pregnant that is illegal. She also cant fire you for it that too is illegal.
    southerncharm86

Answer by southerncharm86 at 10:37 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Oh contrar.. she does have the right to "not choose" you because you are pregnant. Is it something you are going to need to take time away from when you deliver your baby? If so, you must tell her. If she finds out, that could cause you more harm because it's not telling the truth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Will the job be an online one, or will you be in a physical location? If it will be an online one, then you should mention your pregnancy, but also reassure her that even after you have the baby, you'll still be able to follow through on your responsibilities/quotas, etc.

If it's an "in person" job, then you need to tell her now. In this economy it's better to be honest and not burn any bridges. Chances are the two of you will be able to work something out around your due date and beyond.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:41 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• No if the only reason she is not picked for a job is hte pregnancy that is infact illegal and can have a lawsuit brought up.
    southerncharm86

Answer by southerncharm86 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• southerncharm, while you are right that it is illegal to not hire her b/c she's pregnant, the problem is PROVING that that is why she was not hired. All the potential employer has to say is that she decided to go with another person b/c they had better qualification, more skills or got along better with clients/coworkers or whatever. It would then be up to the OP to PROVE that the potential employer didn't hire her solely b/c she was pregnant, which is going to cost the OP money that she doesn't have, as well as stress that she doesn't need with a new baby and all.

As for the OP, I think you should probably tell her up front, right now. Assure her that you will be able to follow thru on your responsibilities, explain how much (if any) time you would need off for the birth of the baby, and just make it clear that you are really excited about this job opportunity. If she really wants to hire you, I would think she'll bend.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:50 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Thanks moms! This is really wonderful advice. I'm sure that if she changes her mind at this point it will be because I am pregnant, but I probably won't act on it. I have faith that something will work out either way. Tropical Mama, that's a good point that I should let her know how important this opportunity is for my career in early childhood education (its a substitute daycare teacher position) and how excited I am to get started. I won't be working that many hours, so I doubt much would have to change once the baby is here. I love this question format its awesome!
    LittleGee

Answer by LittleGee at 11:03 AM on Jan. 24, 2010