How do i help thin mucus in a 2 year old?

My daughter has an ear infection and so that stupid drainage is causing mucus in her throat, well it keeps making her throw up if she starts coughing hard enough... shes way to young for mucinex but i was wondering if there was other things i could do to help thin it. I feel so bad for her :(

clarasmommy08

Asked by clarasmommy08 at 10:46 AM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• cool mist humidifier -- lots of oral fluids and saline drops (or netti pot if she'll do that)
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:50 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Lots of water to drink, steam her up in the bathroom several times a day. I believe in warm mist humidification.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I do NOT advocate the use of bubbly stuff- pop (soda, coke, whatever you call it in your region)... BUT... it can help the nausea that comes with mucous drainage. a small amount of ginger ale, coke, etc... or seltzer water with juice.

BTW- she CAN use mucinex, but @ approx 1/2 the normal children's dose. also... Tiraminic makes a "Chest" decongestant (it is in yellow packaging) that contains the same exact expectorant that mucinex has- only it is a liquid, and can more easily be dosed for a small child- even has listed the dosage for age 2-4...

what PP said is absolutely correct... and what I do when they reach that point.

Chamomile tea will also help soothe her tummy... a little honey, a squirt of lemon, and you can even serve it cold!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:06 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• whats a netti pot ? my little girl is having this problem too.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:40 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• THIS IS A NETI POT and how to use it... 

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:53 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Use a vaporizor.

She actually isn't too young for Mucinex if she weighs over 24 pounds. Children's Mucinex is for ages 2 years and up. I gave my daughter children's Mucinex when she was 2 and a half. She weighed 24.5 so I gave her just a little less than the recommended dose, along with children's Zyrtec to help dry up the drainage. It helped her a lot. Our allergist recommends a dose of 1/4 teaspoon of Zyrtec for a toddler (even though the label says 1/2 teaspoon).
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:30 PM on Jan. 24, 2010