Why do I feel so useless??!!

I've had a difficult life. Things happened to me over the years and I was very depressed. But now I'm settled in a nice home with my hubby and three beautiful children. I'm re-decorating the house at the moment. I'm home schooling my eldest. I don't feel depressed anymore... Until I think about doing something for myself. My hubby wants me to learn to drive. Just thinking about it makes me feel stupid for some reason, and very down. The same thing happens when people ask me about me furthering my education when my kids are older. I feel happy just being a mum, but I'm scared of having to be 'something else'. I know that day will come. And I'm terrified. I think I'll fail. I wish I could believe in myself.

lara_b

Asked by lara_b at 11:02 AM on Jan. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• a good wife, & a good mother. The sins of another do not dictate my entire life. I am special, unique & worth more than all the riches on earth. I believe I can do anything I put my mind to. No matter what happens I have ppl that love me" . It'll feel really strange @ 1st but if you continue w/ this you'll start to believe it. Make the power of positive thinking work for you.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:09 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• you've been told all your life that you weren't good enough or that you couldn't do what you put your mind to. explain to your dh that you're gonna need a lot of encouragement & if he could continue to remind you of the things you already to well it will help to build your self esteem. Failure is all in the way you look @ it. i've never failed in my life!!!! I've tried many things that didn't work out & some were complete disasters but thru each one I learned a valuable lesson so I look @ these as teaching & learning moments vs succeed or fail. Sit down & make a list of all the things you thought you couldn't do that you have, start w/ how you felt right before you had your 1st kid, bet you didn't think you'd be where you are now or have done so much, recognize the things you've done for others as well as for yourself. Look @ yourself in the eyes in the mirror every morning & repeat these words "I am a good woman cont...
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Um, I have nothing further to say... Nyx7 is correct. Carry on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• you are fearful of change and taking on new things that are out of your comfort zone. sometimes you just need to pick yourself up and face those fears head on. you will find that it isn't so bad after all and the anxiety is the worst part. i too was afraid to drive. i had a horrible accident when i was 16 and quit driving for about 7 years. i had myself so fearful that the thought of even getting behind the wheel gave me panic attacks. i drive now and i am still leary when it comes to having to drive new places, but i overcame it, and feel better now that i have.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:31 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• im a drop out and sometimes i feel stupid but its not our faults we feel that way. i got my liscnese in michigan first try then i lost it cuz i crashed my car and moved to indiana and i had to take the test 6 times becouse i couldnt pass it. not knowing something doesnt make u stupid becouse u didnt know it. i think getting ur liscnese would be good for u, hubby keeps saying i can pass the ged test becouse betty(his brothers ex) did and she isnt smart. now that made me feel a little stupid i told him now what if i dont pass and u said that,whats that mean?.lol
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:38 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Getting your driver's license might help your self-esteem quite a bit. It helped my husband's self-esteem when he got his and well as his mom's.

My suggestion would be is maybe you should see a therapist or someone you can talk to. What you say here can be aired out in a safe environment and you can work out these fears. Just a suggestion. :)
    Anonymous