how do i keep my 2 month old daughter from loosing her hair

my daughter is loosing her hair in the back with my son he never lost his hair but he slept on his tummy and she sleeps on her bck is it normal for babies to loose there hair or what?

mommyoftwo0809

Asked by mommyoftwo0809 at 11:09 AM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your baby will NOT have brain damage from laying on her back - - - Tummy time is good if a baby will tolerate it, but ONLY when they are awake. The back to sleep campaign started because babies (no, not ALL obviously, but enough to raise concern) were dying.

To answer your question - - it is completely normal for babies to have a bald spot from back sleeping. Baby hair rubs off. . . it will grow back. Once she is able to roll over and is more mobile - she won't spend as much time on her back and the hair will come back in. Don't worry about it, and PLEASE ignore the the seriously ignorant comments made by MERLN :)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 11:31 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• she needs more tummy time-- too much "back to bed" can actually cause brain damage hair is the least of your worries if she's laying on her back soo much she's loosing hair imagine whats going on with her brain development
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:15 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• the term is called plagiocephally (sp?)-- and alot of people tell you its no big deal but if you look at the adverse outcomes from that VS SIDS they are much worse
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:22 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• it's very common. if she can't hold her head up, why would you want to put her face down. my daughter hated tummy time and spent a lot of time on her back, she got a bald spot. don't listen to the brain damage comment. my daughter is 2 now, and she is fine, with flowing natural loose curls.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:23 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Um, that is not right MELRN, all babies loose a certain amount of their hair, it's only natural. Trust me, my daughters both did and they are now adults... Again, NO BRAIN DAMAGE here. That's just silly and superstitious. It's okay mom, it will grow back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• It is normal

Answer by rkoloms at 12:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• It's normal and it will grow back. You would much rather your baby have a bald spot than an increase risk for SIDS because you placed her on her tummy to sleep. Really, carseat time rubs off more hair than sleeping on their backs in bed does, and you're not going to stop using a carseat just because your baby doesn't have a full head of hair.

Just give her tummy time a couple times a day (don't over do it, she's only 2 months old) and be patient, it will grow back.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• It is very normal for them to leave their hair some loose all some only some and in only some spots. It will grow back !
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 12:37 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Most babies lose some hair from sleeping on their backs and the carseat time. I imagine using a sling may help prevent more hair loss, but I don't know.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• none of my children ever lost their hair from too much time on their backs. they spent more time at the breast than on their backs. i had one child that lost almost all of his hair, this was the result of a stressful birth...and is also unfortunately common. is your lo's head flat? if it is flat, i would see the dr., otherwise just try to give her some tummy time, or try wearing her in a sling vs. putting her in a swing or bouncy seat.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2010