How can I help my 9 year old if he has to change schools?

There is a good chance that I will be hired as a full-time Early Head Start teacher in the near future. However, this means that my son (he will turn 9 on Feb. 21) will have to change schools. I have shown him where he will be attending & the new playground (at his current school, the only playground is on the parking lot. Right now, he seems excited because I have been pointing out the positives of the change. However, this could (& has) change at anytime. He is a straight A student & has been tested at reading at a high school level. Naturally, I want school to continue to be a positive in his life. I have also listed ways that he can stay in contact w/ his current friends. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks for your help!!!

Stephanie602

Asked by Stephanie602 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• nope... you're doing all of the right things.

this is the first year that my dd has NOT had to change schools, and it has been incredibly hard. she has her own email account so that she can talk to the friends she had to leave behind, and we made a "memory book" from her old school, full of pictures, notes, autographs, etc. that she can pull out when she wants to remember someone.
    the only thing you can do is support the effort to make new friends, get to know the teacher, and spend one on one time with him as needed. It can be a good transition if you are well tuned into his emotional needs, and try not to make many routine changes at home- keep as many "constants" in his life as possible.

hope that helps.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:55 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• We had to move when my son was 9. I did the same thing as you but as the big move day kept getting closer and closer he started getting bummed out. My DH and I decided to print out "business cards" with his name, the new address, the phone number, and his own personal email on it. It helped out A LOT. He still talks to his old friends and has many new friends now.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 11:05 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Well happy B-day to your son, My son shares the same B-day. Suprisingly, he will adjust better than you think! We moved to a different state as my son turned that age. We stayed with friends the first month then had to change schools again as when we found our apartment(Since we didn't have a car as of then) And he did pretty well with very little help from me. Good luck mama!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 9:34 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• How's he doing?
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 1:37 AM on Jan. 27, 2010