Have you gone to an online college, Ashford University in particular?

I attended a community college and got a bachelor's degree for elementary education, but no license. I'd like to know if there is a way to finish a few more classes to obtai my license. I will be calling them tomorrow, but I was just wondering ahead of time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Try western governors university. they are waaaay cheaper than most online schools.
    bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 12:30 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• thanks
    Anonymous

• I go to University of Phoenix & I live it. Expensive, yes. But well worth it.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 12:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I love Ashford! Been going almost 2 years for my bachelor's.
    MrsHatch4

Answer by MrsHatch4 at 12:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• MrsHatch4, what is your major? If it is education, then how does that program work?
    Anonymous

• I don't know about licenses, but I know degrees obtained from online only colleges like Everest or Kaplan College aren't viewed the same by some employers. Its starting to get a little better than it was even a year ago, but a lot of employers don't like degrees from schools with the name "online" in them. I did a lot of research online when I was debating going to Everest College, and am glad I didn't spend the money there. I called some employers in the field I was interested in and spoke with them about it, you might try doing that. Good luck!
    PrincessRSX03

Answer by PrincessRSX03 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• i attend a local college online. i attend Trident Technical college. that's a nother thought beaue they are more familiar with whatever situation you have. the only time i have to show up to campus is for a test and luckily this semester i don't have to show up for any tests!
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• You need to look us a few things for education. You need to know what your state's requirements are. And most online programs do not give you enough for licensing. However, some states have programs that you can go into that will allow you to become licensed. You could also just get your M.A.T (masters of art in teaching) instead because that would give you certification too.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 6:38 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• To the poster.....I am majoring in Psychology with a minor in Child Development and Sociology.
    MrsHatch4

Answer by MrsHatch4 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2010