Is it possible for my son to have pleurisy or walking pneumonia with out fever?

my 8 yr old has been complaining of chest pain since he got up. he has minor sniffles, but no cough or fever. he doesn't have pain when he moves his arms or when I massage his chest. he complains that it hurts with he laughs, cries or sometimes when he breaths out.

joanlovestea

Asked by joanlovestea at 2:04 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Kids' Health

• He needs to be seen by a doctor. Yes he could have any number of issues going on with his lungs. He may be having pain because of inflammation in his lungs. (wheezing, caused by lung constriction/asthma) There is no way to tell except physical examination (listening to his lungs or chest xray). Hope he feels better soon.
    Msnurse2u

Answer by Msnurse2u at 2:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Walking pneumonia would NOT cause a fever so yes, it is possible to have walking pneumonia without the fever, in fact... its pretty much the only difference between pneumonia and walking pneumonia.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 9:46 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• My daughter had pneumonia with no fever, cough, congestion, anything. They found it with a chest x-ray. Her only complaint was persistant stomach ache and after 6 weeks and 3 visits to the doctor....they discovered it. Take him in and check it out!!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:47 AM on Jan. 25, 2010