Why do athiests believe that people who are religious have a mental disorder?

this is referring to a previous post where a mommy said that if her child wanted to be religious she'd get them into therapy because its due to a mental disorder.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• they will usually tell you that they feel "happy" and "complete" with there beliefs, and by technical def that is evidence of a "need" to fill a void."

I lived years without God, with muttering a prayer or stepping into a church. I felt complete, now that I have found God I feel complete with God in my life. I am not filling a void
    Anonymous

• are you serious? well then majority of ameica has a mental disorder...and everyone in the past had one too. there once was a time when everyone believed in God. might not have been MY God but they believed in a god...
    Anonymous

• Yep- Please, if you use me as an example... at least credit me. lol It's not against CM policy.

Absolutely correct, I would want to see if there was an underlying reason for my child to suddenly peak an interest in religion. I also stated that it was ultimately their decision, based on a perceived "Need" for religion, and that I had absolutely NO control over the workings of their minds. In short, I would have to simply accept it as a fact and facet of their life and personal preferences...

You know, if you want to use me as an example, you should really try NOT misquoting.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I can't answer why that mother thinks that way but i'd like to say that maybe you shouldn't generalize all people because one person said something.
    HannahEsmommy

Answer by HannahEsmommy at 2:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• OP here, sorry ObbyDobbie, didnt use your name because i thought it went against a rule and sorry that i misquoted you, heres your quote so that people know where i got it from.
    -------------------------------------

I view the perceived "need" for religion as a mental disorder. The desire to believe in things that are not real. So I would naturally seek to find a root cause for this "need" first through therapy, and find out what was causing it...
    Anonymous

• Being "religious" might be something people think of as mental bc of all the religious zealots in history that have caused problems. Being Spiritual, however, is a different thing and more acceptable.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:15 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• To answer your question....

Anyone who maintains belief in a magical, mystical being who can not be seen, heard, touched, smelled or tasted. Who has always existed, will live for all eternity, performs "miracles" based on your conversations with them, which ONLY YOU CAN HEAR- since they also read minds, and know what you're thinking before you even think it... Yeah, that sure sounds like a disorder to me.

Yep... adults who have imaginary friends frighten me.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:15 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

----------------------------------

You know, youre right, only a couple people said it, so i apologize to all of the athiest for generalize, meant no harm at all.
    Anonymous

• I think all children will at one time have a curiosity into religion, or other religions, unless they were exposed to it at a younger age. Im Athiest, my husband Catholic. My children.... they will be whatever they chose to be. My oldest has chosen Christianity, because this is what she was exposed to when she was younger, by her grandparents. I have read her bible stories. When her grandparents asked if they could take her to thier church, and give her that experience, I was all for it. I want my children to make their own decisions, and allow them to make their own experiences. I appriciate everyones' beliefs (not that i agree with some), don't preach to me, i won't lecture you, thats how I work LOL.
    PennStateMomma

Answer by PennStateMomma at 2:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• if you think about it...you believe in a god that created the earth. then animals and humans. you stemmed from two people and one of them talked to a snake. it's the not the most compelling arguement. if you heard it and were grown never knowing the bible you wouldn't believe it either, especially if you were taught something else that makes more sense, right? like my mil thinks fossils are just rocks that look alike.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 24, 2010