When did you start giving your baby cereal? (by spoon not mixing in with a bottle)

My daughter is 3 months old she sleeps pretty good only waking once at night...so that's not why I want to start her on cereal. I offered her rice cereal way thin once and she seemed to get the hang of the spoon and everything. She shows intrest in food whenever anyone around her is eating.
I have heard of some starting with whole wheat cereal... should I just stick to rice?Once a day? Morning or night? thanx : )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my dd was 1 week shy of 4 months when I started by spoon. She did awesome. She also was taking in around 30-36 oz of formula!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 2:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• i dont remember the age that i started feeding her, but i remember not feeding just rice cereal. its too plain, and even in she was ready-she wouldnt have liked it. so i mixed in peaches, bananas, green beans, anything to give a little flavor. just about a baby spoonful of whatever food.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• We NEVER gave her cereal in her bottle-- she was mostly breastfed (with a little supplementing from formula at the babysitter's house or when her daddy had her). We did start giving her oatmeal cereal at 3 mo from a spoon. but it wasn't just plain cereal-- I mixed in just a little banana babyfood at first, to make it more palatable.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 2:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• It was only for a few weeks and it was when he was months old. By the time he was 6 months he had 10 teeth and we started feeding him baby food and solids.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 2:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• *OP*
    thank you this is my second baby so I pretty much know what's recomended... I started my first daughter a little later she really had no intrest until 6 or 7 months. She was in a brace for hip dysplasia and due to not using her legs much for the 1st 4 months or so sat up later. Now with my 2nd she's doing everything earlier and shows she's ready for some sort of action when it comes to food. I am going to try mixing in a little spoon of baby food for taste purposes I have bananas and applesauce. Are fruits first going to make it harder to introduce less sweet foods? peas squash ect...?
    Anonymous

• dd#1 was 5 months - started - MAJOR tummy troubles and constipation and gas. as soon as we stopped it went away. I didn't give her anything else until she was just past 6months. Much better. but she preferred vegetables.

I didn't want to have the same misery with #2 and #3 so didn't even try until they were at least 6 months.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:35 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Honestly, that is way to young. The gut isn't really that mature at that age, they can't sit up, and haven't even lost the tongue thrust reflex which is designed to push solid foods OUT of the mouth. If you have to puree foods in order to bypass those failsafes, its way too early. KWIM? Cereal is also a marketing ploy. It is overloaded with iron which is constipating, is hard to digest which can cause stomach upsets, and it tastes horrible. Save money! Wait until the baby is at least six months old (as recommended by the WHO) especially if you breastfeed. Remember food before one is for experience only, not nutrition. All nutrition should come from breastmilk or formula. If you wait for the right development you can just go to table foods with no muss and no waste! http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/schema/engels.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I wanted to add that all babies will show interest in food before six months. They are curious about everything. But they don't have the ability by nature to eat things they aren't ready for regardless of their curiosity. So just because we can puree foods and give them the puree to eat and bypass all those developmental blockades doesn't mean they are phsyically ready to digest it properly.

I think it is wise to wait for the baby to develop the ability to feed themselves.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• im just reposting here what I just posted on a similar question....

Before I knew better I gave my kids cerial at around 6 months....it really constipated my 1st child too :( but with my current 15 month old, he NEVER got cerial and did just fine! I started with mashed bananas and he loved those, then mashed avocados and peas and cut up green beans, he loved it all and ate it pretty well but I waited till well past 6 months to start solids foods and he had a few teeth and was clearly ready for his foods....I actually never gave jarred baby foods at all, I either just mashed stuff up or gave him tiny bites off of my plate....it saved me a LOT of money not buying all that baby food and cerial :)
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 6:37 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I'm sure all kids are different I do appreciate the advice. If I was going to wait till my baby was 8-9-10 months I woundn't have asked the question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on Jan. 25, 2010