Feeding solids question?

Just gave my son his first rice cereal and i was just wondering how many times a day to give it to him. I was thinking just once a day for a few days then twice a day and then introduce a vegetable.#

Opinions please?

GrungeMum

Asked by GrungeMum at 2:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My doctor said to give it 2 times a day... But that's my doctors opinion!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Oh and then I started veggies in between and then fruit!
    ali_1107

• Awesome. How long did you wait to introduce the vegetable?
    GrungeMum

Answer by GrungeMum at 2:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• 1st question id ask is how old is your son? I am a believer in delaying solids until at the very least 6 months so I personally have breastfed all my babies (3 of them) for well over a year and didnt introduce solids till 6 months with my 1st 2 and 8 months with my 3rd.
    Cerial is actually just a practice food to help babies learn to eat and doesnt really contain any nutrients that your baby needs other than iron but too much iron can constipate your baby.
    Maybe try mashing up some bananas or avocados instead, they are MUCH more nutritious for your baby and if your baby is truly ready for solids he will be able to eat them just fine.
    If your baby thrusts the food out of his mouth with his tounge or gags and chokes then he is not yet ready for solids and you should just wait a couple of weeks and then try again.
    Anonymous

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 2:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I must have forgotten to put the he is 6 months.
    GrungeMum

Answer by GrungeMum at 3:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Cereal is also a marketing ploy. It is overloaded with iron which is constipating, is hard to digest which can cause stomach upsets, and it tastes horrible. Save your money. Remember food before one is for experience only, not nutrition. All nutrition should come from breastmilk or formula. you can just go to table foods with no muss and no waste! http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/schema/engels.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Before I knew better I gave my kids cerial at around 6 months....it really constipated my 1st child too :( but with my current 15 month old, he NEVER got cerial and did just fine! I started with mashed bananas and he loved those, then mashed avocados and peas and cut up green beans, he loved it all and ate it pretty well but I waited till well past 6 months to start solids foods and he had a few teeth and was clearly ready for his foods....I actually never gave jarred baby foods at all, I either just mashed stuff up or gave him tiny bites off of my plate....it saved me a LOT of money not buying all that baby food and cerial :)
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 6:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2010