What do you do if your child hits?

I have tried time outs and talking to her on how it hurts people but she is only 2 and she picked it up from her daycare classmates

1stimemom09

Asked by 1stimemom09 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• just be consistent. Every time she hits AND every time she ATTEMPTS to hit put her in time out right away. every time. no exceptions.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I agree, you will need to be on top of her every time it happens she needs a time out. Such a tough age for them to channel their anger.. She will get it eventually!!
    squinn51504

Answer by squinn51504 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I tell my son "No, we don't hit. It's not nice. Hitting hurts" and then put him in time out. If he tries to get up and leave I pick him and put him back. Everytime. No exceptions.

He hardly hits anymore. He's learned. Stick with it and you will get the lesson across.
    Anonymous

• time out is meant to be a time when a child REFLECTS on their actions or gives them time to breathe if they're very angry.
    So....time out isn't meant for kids under 3.
    So...first you need to identify why DD hits (tired, isn't able to fully communicate, someone took her toy, there are may reasons). You need to know why she's hitting in order to help her deal with these feelings of frustration where the only way she can communicate is by hitting.
    Next soothe the person who was hit (this will teach her empathy. something that takes yrs to learn :)
    Then turn around and in a few sentences say "that hurt ___. we don't hit, we touch each other kindly.
    If problem was fighting over a toy, do not let DD play with that toy. She can play with anything else BUT that toy.
    If she's tired, problem is easily solved. If she's having a hard time communicating, consider teaching her sign language (this helps A LOT!) NEVER HIT BACK
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 3:29 PM on Jan. 24, 2010