How to discipline 13 year old girl who is acting up

aurorastar24

Asked by aurorastar24 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• introduce the belt.
    Anonymous

• Take away the things she likes alot. Music, computer, cell phone, friends, tv, money, presents, curfew.

Answer by louise2 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Chores, chores and more chores until she's wore out!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• all the above
    Anonymous

• Chores above and beyond what is typically expected of her. And take away everything that she really loves and does....mp3 player, no TV or any media source in the bedroom (if it is in there). No game system time. No phone time. If she owns a cell phone, take it away....a 13 yr old doesn't need a cell phone to survive. If you have the space, strip the bedroom down to a bed, dresser, and desk with only school supplies in it. Family time....at 13 so many kids want to hole up in their bedrooms and hide rather than be with family, so insist on playing twister, reading a book together, etc. Sometimes acting up is just a cry out for more attention and sometimes that's all that needed.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• worst thing you can do to a girl this age is to become physical with her. once they are old enough to wear a bra (or need one) they are too old to be spanked- "Belt" should never have been introduced to ANY child, and belongs in the bedroom for adult play, not child's discipline.

chores, chores, chores... I agree with pp, and remembering what was actually effective when I was 13. Oh, I hated it, but it worked. pp also brought up another good point, as they get a little older they generally don't receive the same attention and physical affection (which is why they seek out a boyfriend), she may just really be in need of some attention.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• took everything before but tv and drama club she took herself back without me knowing and i have 150 dollars in over limit charges and she lied to me telling me she didnt take it when i heard her on it so im about to take everything but her but her dads making her just stand where he can see her i about to make her scrub house i m lost she doesnt go out with friends very occasionally to someones house were very overprotective so im not understanding this behavior she goes to a private school and is starting to act up there im thinking of homeschooling her
    aurorastar24

Answer by aurorastar24 at 3:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Don't take after school activities that rely on her to function like her drama club.
    My purse says in my bedroom when I'm asleep and is never where the kids can get to it without my knowledge because of some problems about 8 yrs ago with one of the twins running some charges up on it. (nothing tangible - online services that we were able to get complete refunds because he was 18 and not authorized to use my card)

Good luck with everything. I don't know if homeschooling is the solution, but I know in our area - the private schools have a far bigger drug and alcohol problems than our public schools.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• OMG! you used those words "overprotective"... you reap what you sew. she is being a typical 13 year old, and even worse, one that likely feels deprived BECAUSE she has been living under the thumb of an over protective parent... if she had been given normal freedoms, she might not be so conniving at getting the things she feels she needs out of life. I guarantee you, you turn to home schooling and you have a mess on your hands you will NEVER be able to fix... you just stated the problem, now fix it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:30 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

•  Set rules follow through.   There are consequences for ones actions. When my daughters act up I take their cellular phones away, no computer use, they may not go out with their friends.  If I say they are grounded for a week then they are grounded for a week. Teenagers will test your limits and see what they can get away with.  Try not to feed into her mello-drama, give her space.  Remind her how much she means to you.   Let her earn her privileges by good her behavior.  It is very important you and your husband stay on the same page. 

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 6:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2010