Pumping VS. Breast

Does anyone know why pumping will not increase your supply as much as bringing baby to the breast does??
Reason I am asking is because i am not able to nurse as often as I would like so I end up pumping more. People keep saying offer the breast more to increase supply, but why is that?? I want to exclusively feed my daughter breast milk but my supply is not enough to meet her needs!
Anybody with any experience with this issue??

Thanks in advance!!
kiddosx8

kiddosX8

Asked by kiddosX8 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the pump will only release what is closest to the milk ducts. the baby's suckle is much stronger. she gets the milk out of all the milk ducts.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 3:20 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• The Pump will work but you will have to do it more then you usually would with holding the baby to your breast.....people say alot of things about breastfeeding and it is always hard to understand I think lol cuz peoples opinions constantly change for some reason.Anyways I was told by my nurse that the reason it is better for the baby to nurse from you is because when the baby is nursing your brain releases a hormone that increases your milk,but sometimes you have to pump because your child has a hard time with attaching itself and you have no other choice keep it up !! you sound like a great mom and you are doing fine but if still worried I would contact my local Lactation Nurse and ask some questions even the nurses at the hospital will have some information to give you .Hope this helps(:
    Anonymous

• Baby is 100 times better than just about any pump on the market.. Most moms can only put a few ounces at a setting (if that) while baby is able to get much more milk.. Offer the breast and your supply will increase even if it 30 minutes after her last feeding. Breast feeding IS supply and demand. The more you offer her your breast the more you will produce.. Offering the bottle to early can mess up your supply. To fix this, offer the breast before any bottles, if you can, get rid of the bottles until your supply is re-established...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Why do you think it's not enough to meet her needs?

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 3:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I EXCLUSEVELY PUMPMFOR 10 MTS!! IS A PIN IN THE ASS. I HAD NO PROBLEM CUZ I HAD AN OVERSUPPLY THE FIRST 7 MTS. BUT ONCE MY MILK STARTED TO GO DOWN I AHD TO SUPPLEMEMNT WITH FORMULA. I PUMP 6-8 TIMES A DAY AND AROUND 9 MTS MY MILK SUPPLY WAS AWFUL. BY 10 MTS I HAD TO SWITCH TO ONLY FORMULA
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• What makes you think there is something wrong with your supply in the first place? Don't confuse the baby's need to suck as a signal that you aren't making enough. Babies suckle at the breast because their suckle keeps the supply going. Especially during a growth spurt a baby will suckle almost constantly! That is normal. Pay attention to outpout. Look for six to eight wet diapers a day. To ensure that the baby is getting rich hindmilk, don't switch breasts mid feed. Feed on one and when the baby seems fussy or is willing to take the other breast offer. Pumps suck the milk out, babies massage it out so babies will always be more efficient because of the way they compress the breast. To help the pump you HAVE to pump more often AND massage the breast so that you release as much milk as possible. If the milk ducts are not stimulated enough to prouduce milk, the body thinks you don't need it & produces less
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• dipaer counts!! 6-8 thast all that matters. as long as you have that amount per day she is good
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Also, don't confuse the lack of engorgement as low supply. In the beginning breasts feel engorged because the body makes an oversupply in the beginning. The baby sucking (including skin to skin contact, the massaging action of the baby's latch, baby's smell, etc) stimulate milk production but also regulates it. That is, the body will make only what the baby is demanding...not oversupply so the breasts won't feel "full" unless you miss feeds. Breasts aren't designed to store milk like bags, KWIM? Go to http://www.kellymom.com/   for more info http://www.drjacknewman.com/ .  

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• And also check out this video for helping with pumping (but remember the advice to nurse nurse nurse the baby is the BEST advice for maintaining milk supply) http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• The baby is the best pump for your breast that is why folks tell you to put her to the breast. An electrical pump will maintain your supply while you are away from your baby. Now, a mother who has a hospital grade pump and pumps 8 or more times a day can give her baby expressed breast milk via a bottle. Breast feeding/breast milk is both work and rewarding. I wish you all the luck.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 6:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2010