Zero tolerance Policy?

I am writing a debate paper on zero tolerance and I am struggling due to the fact that I dont have enough knowledge on the subject and really no opinion as of right now. I am wanting to know what your views of this policy are and why you feel that way. Do you think that it is unfair or necessary in public schools?
I am just looking here for more opinions then what I have pulled up on my research, and possibly some brainstorming ideas. I will not use any ones response in my paper.

Allstar_Mom

Asked by Allstar_Mom at 3:30 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in

• a zero tolerance on what? dresscode? bullying? there's a lot of things to have zero tolerance of.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• i agree with zero tolerance if it's not blown out of proportion. i think that girls should take thier birth control in their own homes instead of at lunch at school or have the school nurse dispense it to them as it reads in the school manual. i don't think that cough drops should be regulated, but you shouldn't be allowed to hand them out to other people. cold medicine and other otc meds should be dispensed through the school nurse to make sure correct dosages are given/taken and it's not abused. anyone not following the policy should be subject to whatever the school feels necessary even if it's zero tolerance. it's hard to draw a line on otc and prescription meds so they should be dispensed in the right ways for the protection of all students.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• It's horrible. I understand the 0 tolerance policy has been used since the mid-90s but it is still bad. What if the kid just picked the weapon up on their way to school and is going to turn it in? Well too bad they are automatically expelled. What if it is someone with special needs? Law says they have to have a free public education and no one can be denied yet if a special needs child brings a weapon to school they are suppose to be expelled to. So what do you do?
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 6:40 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I agree with the first poster. I need more details of what exactly the policy is for before I can give you my feedback.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 7:37 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Can't comment until I know which policies you are talking about. Violence, drugs, etc?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Yes I am talking about Violence, drugs, weapons. The fact that the policy says that all students are treated the same regardless of age, race etc. Also, the fact that some schools have taken the policy a bit to far (IMO) and have disciplined students for bringing midol to school, splashing others with puddles, and so forth
    Allstar_Mom

Answer by Allstar_Mom at 9:37 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Ah ok. Yes, I do see how some schools have taken things to a ridiculous level with zero tolerance but ultimately it's the school board to blame. They tie the hands of the principal and teachers with their mandatory procedures. And really, if you look at WHY these policies have been put in place, you might be able to kind of understand where they are coming from. They (and I as well) would rather err on the side of caution and punish a student for something unintentional than face the consequences of another Colombine.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• i work in a school and this is what i think ----- schools are covering their asses in the current climate of crazy lawsuits. there is zero tolerance for Everything now. meds, bullying, weapons. it leaves no leeway for independent thought about the punishment fitting the crime. it really does hurt schools. most of the zero tolerance talk came out shortly after columbine in the 90's .... it is a reaction... an over-reaction.   really think about this... zero-tollerance for fighting... a child is attacked and fights back.   they both are punished the same.  no matter who started it.  because of that policy they both fought.  is that logical?  is that good?  no! 

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I have no tolerance for that policy, there was a time when kids were looked at on an individual base's, not anymore. Plus were something might have onced been considered a simple school prank, know everything has a label and is catagorized. It is so frustrating. I can not count how many times I have had a go around with the school about thier zero toerance policies (8 kids so you tend to run into issues).

My examples are for the high school, but one DD (very good student) tied a paper towel bow around and bathroom stall and got ISS for 3 day's, the said it was graffiti, meanwhile another kid wrote on the bathroom wall with permanent marker and had to hel the janitor. My DD was made an example under zero tolerance...the puishment should have went the other way, but you can't fight them.

luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2010