Natural remedies for curing constipation with a 5 year old?

My DD doesnt go every day or even once every other day. she goes on for 7 days not going to the bathroom or more. I have tried Pedia lax or something named like that. its like a plastic tube with stuff inside to put in the kids bottom and it makes them go in seconds but thats not curing the problem. She eats a ton of vegetables, fruits and all foods. She isnt that picky. We use horizon milk 1% for her to drink and on cereal. Fiber bars dont work on her. Her poop is very very wide and long for a child that tiny. I dont know what to use.

aeroslove

Asked by aeroslove at 3:32 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Consult your pediatrician.
    Anonymous

• Thanks, dont want too. i dont take my kids to the pedi for stuff like that.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 3:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Hmm. But if she's eating tons of veggies and fruits she should have regular bm (at least once a day) How much other dairy does she eat? ( yogurt, sour cream, ranch dressing, cheese, etc) You might want to cut back on that also I think it's 20 oz of milk and no more for her age. I give my daughter 1-2tsp a day of benefiber because she's not a veggie eater. Other than that I would also suggest her pediatrician that's not normal and it sounds painful for her.
    ainstalshia

Answer by ainstalshia at 3:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• she doesnt drink or have any dairy that much. She has dairy in her cereal and none in her cups. I give her water instead or apple juice/cranberry juice diluted. I never tried Benefiber as of yet. So its not the dairy
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 3:46 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• What does your daughter's doctor say? Instead of find something to help your child, speak to your daughter's doctor. She may have a more serious problem.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 4:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I can see why you don't to treat with medication. But I think you should still see a doctor. If she has an underlying medical problem home remedies aren't going to fix it.  And if her diet is healthy ans she's getting enough fiber, it sure seems like she has some sort of issue with her digestive system. Just make it clear to the doctor that you don't just want laxatives or suppositories, you want to know what is causing the problem.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 7:46 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• well, if you're looking to loosen her up, have you tried prunes?
    you probably don't want to give a little kid that many (I'd consult a doctor either way) but my nurse mom always did that. it worked.
    LadyAronna

Answer by LadyAronna at 8:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• yes, there are fruits that should help, but i agree with others. she needs to go to the doctor.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• WATER. She's dehydrated. Be careful of some fruits. They had on The Doctors tv program a segment on lots of fruits clog up the bowels of small children. Either go to thedoctorstv.com and search for that or call her pediatrician.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I'd see if she's drinking enough water. Pooping every 1-3 or 4 days is okay but 7 and having a hard time is not.

WATER is a big one but if that doesn't help... IMO, constipation esp. in a child is enough out of the norm that I would get it checked out.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:09 AM on Jan. 25, 2010