Why does the Christian religion have to be so confusing? It's seriously making me feel depressed :(

I seriously try really hard to read the Bible and understand what God wants of me. i just feel like its never good enough. my in laws tell me that I'm not a "true Christian" because I let my children watch disney movies and don't make them focus on God 24/7. I feel like its good to have a balance. I just feel soo depressed and not sure what to do? I just don't get why I get treated so badly. Does anyone else go through this? i've even noticed in some of the Christian groups on CM that people refer to themselves as a "true Christian." I'm so confused as to what I'm supposed to do to be a "true Christian?"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Christianity is simple. Just believe in Jesus as your Savior. It's that simple. Your in laws are not true christians if they are judging you. The Holy Spirit will tell you if God wants you to give up Disney movies for your children. Just listen.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• i agree with admckenzie. your in-laws are not true christians if they are judging you. believing in God and accepting Jesus as your savior shouldn't make you feel depressed. you're allowing other people to influence you.
    Michelle451

Answer by Michelle451 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Not all Christians feel the way your in-laws do.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• from what I've seen, being a "true Christian" means you hate gay people, call anyone who is pro-choice a baby killer regardless of whether they have ever gotten an abortion or not, and act better than anyone who is not christian. So I would take being called "not a true Christian" as a compliment!

The bible is impossible to follow to the letter because it has inconsistancies. try to stick to the general rules- don't lie, cheat, steal, try really hard not to kill anybody- and you should be all set. :)
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• A true Christian is someone who has accepted Jesus as their Savior, someone who believes that he died on the cross for their sins, that he rose in three days and is coming again. Being a Christian is not decided by what you watch on tv or what you do. As a Christian we are to lead a life pleasing to God. Ask your inlaws what is wrong with the disney movies. My mil did not let my dh and his siblings watch them growing up because of the witches and such and some are just scary. I will be honest, I don't make my kids focus on God all the time, but if they ask a question and I can bring God into it do. Such as where did animals come from? God made them. Or if they are being mean to each other, tell them Jesus wants us to be kind and share a Bible verse. I hope this helps you a little.
    Anonymous

• I don't agree with her in-laws but this:
    Your in laws are not true christians if they are judging you.
    Sounds a little like you are judging them.
    Anonymous

• You may need a little bit more information than just the bible such as bible aids, congregation members, and friends. I learned so much from my friends that were willing to share conversations with me. Lots of religious establishments have bible studies, suday school. If you are attending a church and you are not getting the answers you need, then by all means go searching. Luke 9:23
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• They are trying to wear you down with that good ole' Christian guilt trip! They think by making you feel like a bad parent and human being, you will slowly lose all your self esteem and hit rock bottom. They can't wait to be there to pick you up and show you how religion and God can restore your happiness and parenting skills. Don't fall for it. Gather your inner strength, stand up for yourself and tell them to mind their own business. Your path belongs to YOU, not them.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 4:02 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Oh you want to know something silly and a bit embarrasing about me? I really enjoy reading my kids bibles stories. Its so simple fun and easy. Im a simple kind of gal. Some times I think of the kids bible book to answer questions here on CM! lol Do you have a childrens bible?
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:02 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• OP here. I do have a childrens Bible that we read everyday. I'm not meaning to judge my in-laws I'm just trying to understand why they believe it's ok to tell me how wrong I am when we both believe in the same God.
    Anonymous