When do you think is a good age for a kid to get a part time job and earn their own pocket money?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• 16
    Anonymous

• i agree with anon.
    Anonymous

• 16
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• 16

Answer by louise2 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• 15-16. I had my first job at Wendy's when I was 15.

dh was 8 when he started working - but it was for his dad in their family billiard hall. he HATED it.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

•  I believe a childs first pirority is to focus on their education.  If a child is getting good grades in school I think 16 is a good age to get a part time job. 

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 4:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I started at 15 but I would like my kids to wait till 16. If they want a car then they need to be responsible enough to pay for insurance.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• depends on the child, and the family finances.
    if the child is responsible and getting good grades they can start odd jobs early as they can find them in a safe enviroment.... 5th-6th grade
    If parents can give them a set dollar amount and help them learn to manage money with out having to work that young.. I think that is nice.

Other wise I would say if they grades dont suffer and their other obligations dont suffer then it is nice to learn to work for others while you still have mom and dad to fall back on.
    Anonymous

• My daughter became a Red Cross certified babysitter at 12. She is not 14, and babysits at least one night a week. Her high school discourages afterschool jobs, preferring students to focus on school work and extracurricular activities to help with college admissions.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:54 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I think it depends on the kid and what's available to them.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2010