A lot of bad habits I never meant to apply to my toddler's life, and would love to break. help.

I don't think i'm a bad mommy, but i have certainly falling in a rut of letting my son do some things that are bad for his health or overall development and i am desperate to fix them.

I put him to bed with a sippy cup of milk. he also has the sippy through out the day all day. what is the best way to break him of the night time sippy? what should i limit him to during the day with his sippy?

my son has a tv in his room and it's usually constantly on even though he doesnt always watch it. he does insist on having it on when he falls asleep and when he wakes up if it isnt on he freaks out. how can i break him of this?

my son has horrible sleping habits that i just can not straighten out, it might be due to the sippy and the tv i'm not sure but can you give me you opinion on what is the best bedtime routine for a 24 month old?

please no bashing, just looking for advice and help. thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's going to be rough. Once bad habits are in place, it's much harder to break them than to never start them in the first place - I'm sure you're learning that! My dr told me 16-20 ounces of milk during the day. After that, my son drinks water, some parents let their kids have 4 ounces of juice a day as well. As far as at night, I would switch the sippy cup to water or gradually reduce the amount of milk each night until there isn't any left - you could try both methods and see which works.
    The tv is going to be a toughie. Does he like the light? Can you let him go to the store with you and pick out a "big boy" night light. Remove the tv from his room altogether and just stay consistent with it each night. I would start the bedtime routine with a bath, then turn down the lighting in the house, rub him with lotion (you can try the J&J lavendar nighttime lotion), brush teeth, book(s), song then lay down.

Answer by missanc at 4:23 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Put water in the sippy. Make sure that you are brushing his teeth twice a day, and taking him to a dentist every six months.

He should not watch more than two hours a day of TV.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• The sippy is bad for his teeth because of the milk. I personally see nothing wrong with keeping water in it for him, though. :)
    I would take out the television totally for a while..... But but going from TV to total silence may be hard for your boy to transiition to. I would put a radio or CD player in his room and tune it to a classical station or soft music CD. A night-light may be in order, as well. Let him adjust to his sleeping changes.........and if I were you, I would do it over a few days where you didn't have work or school. Lowering the volume of the music over a week or so should ease him into a quiet envioronment. I wish you luck! :)
    blessings,
    Dee
    Foster_Mom

Answer by Foster_Mom at 5:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2010