What is going on with my daughter?

My daughter is 15 now, and she's drifting away from me. We used to be very close, but now it seems like everytime I try to talk to her, she gets an attitude or ignores me. She hasn't been acting like herself at all. Am I doing something wrong? or has the crazy world of high school and teenagers changed her?

sweetheart2295

Asked by sweetheart2295 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Welcome to the life a being a parent of a teenager.
    Anonymous

• shes a teenager this is pretty normal, just watch who she hangs out with, have a set of rules & stick to them, let her know you are there for her when she needs/wants it.. have a set time like dinner to talk about school, friends, boys or whatever she wants to talk about.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 4:38 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I can't say for sure. But for me it was an abusive relationship. I didn't know how to say anything I was only 13 when it happened and she treated him like a son. She never even told his parents. I resented her strongly turned to drugs and alcohol. That's probably not the case But try and keep the communication open. I didn't have many girlfriends in school and was depressed too so. You never know just try and love her and talk to her they way you want to be loved and talked to.
    Anonymous

• This can be normal! Just keep the lines of communication open. Don't let her shirk out on dinners or family time. Keep your rules in place and remember she's going to be unhappy about them, but they are there for a reason. Look at what she's reading. I know when I was a teenager what I read affected my moods. Dark morose books made a dark morose me. Depressing books a depressing me. Happy upbeat books=happy upbeat me. My mother didn't censor what I read, but did ask that I try and read something with a happy theme and ending atleast every other book.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:00 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I went through the same thing with my now 16 yo dd. I just kept on talking!! Some days were better than other, but I talked about every thing. Friends, school, who was doing what, going where, and with who. Some days she answered me and a conversation followed. Some days "You are so nosy Mom." or one word answers were all I got. But I made sure she knew that no matter what she could come to me. And when she needed me I was there. It is very normal at this age to want some space, especially from mom, I remember that myself, but just keep talking, make sure she knows you are there and love her. She come around. Mine did, I am still nosy some days, but then again I guess I am!!
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 5:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• She'll regain her brain somewhere around the age of 18-20...just try to no take it all personally (I know, we moms love our kids so much we take everything that way) and remember this too shall pass.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 6:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

•  

Blame it on her hormones!! I am a mom of four children two are teenage daughters 16 and 19.   Try to keep the communication open, it's difficult at this age.  One minute they love you next they hate you. Your are trying to ruin their lives. I have learned to give both my daughters space, not to feed into their drama.  Your daughter may act as if she wants nothing to do with you however, she needs your patience and guidance now more than ever. 

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 6:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• try making/keeping some one on one time.. take her to her favorite restaurant once a week, do stuff together, be her mother while also being a FRIEND! she'll open up... just try to spend as much time together as possible... also, take a look at yourself, and your own parenting techniques... what can you change? what might you be doing wrong..?
    Anonymous