how did you get your child off the bottle?

victoriak12708

Asked by victoriak12708 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• cold turkey. teh days he turn one i threw them in the trash. i strted introduicng the sippy at 8 mts. so she was good to go
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• threw them away cold turkey! he cried and cried.. but eventually got over it. hes alive and well today :)
    Anonymous

• we got out lil one off farly early, we bought a sipy cup from the dollar store that had a nipple like top on it
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 4:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I have 5 children and I let them all get off the bottle when they were ready. I would introduce the sippy around 9 mos. old , but there was never any pressure. My daughter Emily threw the bottle at 9 mos as soon as she tried the sippy, my son josh didn't leave the bottle alone until 18mos old. They were all different, but to me the bottle is a securtiy and comfort issue, and until they were secure enough to let it go I didn't push them.
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I never put anything other than formula in my son's bottle. When I gave him juice or water, and when I started the transition to milk, all of that went in a sippy. So when he was done with formula, he was done with bottles. Easy as pie.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:00 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• dd didn't want it! She tried refusing it at 8 mos so I had to force her to drink it until she was 11 mos, then she just gave it up!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 6:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• We did what others have done. He had a sippy cup before he turned one so he'd gotten used to it. After his first birthday we simply quit using the bottle . . . it may have even been earlier than that, I can't recall.
    FrogSalad

Answer by FrogSalad at 7:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• My daughter was very attached to the bottle. We just stopped using the bottle on Christmas Eve. I took advantage of the holiday madness with family and presents. Anyway, she didn't even really seem to notice. I found a sippy that looks like a bottle without being the bottle. It's good for a transition. The straw cups work great too.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• cold turkey at about 11mos.
    no issues whatsoever and hasn't missed them since!!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 10:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I did both of mine gradually, there were no issues, and both were off bottles at a year. The trick for us was finding the right sippy cup. My first started with Juice in a tupperware sippy but had to have a different kind of cup for milk (he refused milk out of the same sippy that he was used to juice in) I went through 3 or 4 different kinds of cups. Then one day he took a drink of something I had with a straw so I tried one of the sippy cups with the soft silicone straw. He loves those and didn't care about bottles anymore once he started on that cup. It's a matter of trial and error sometimes but it can be done without making your little one miserable. (=
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 7:23 AM on Jan. 25, 2010