i was told female at 20 weeks..........

now i am 33 wks. i had an ultrasound this past friday and they said boy. has this happened to anyone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The only way they can tell you for certain is through genetic testing with amniotic fluid. They can tell you with a degree of certainty through ultrasound..........and they are right about 85% of the time. Sometimes the way a shadow falls, positioning of the umbillical cord, the position of the baby, and gestational age of the baby can cause some confusion. Nothing is 100 percent accurate except for the genetic testing.........or waiting until the baby comes and looking for yourself! :) What a wonderful blessing either way...... :)
    Foster_Mom

Answer by Foster_Mom at 4:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• It's common for them to make mistakes. My mom's friend thought she was having a boy and ended up having twin girls. They thought one of the limbs of the other baby was a penis lol. Congratulations either way!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 4:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I've heard of it. I knew someone who was told it was a girl all the way through the pregnancy, bought all pink things and what not, and gave birth to a son. lol. Talk about a surprise!
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 4:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• actually yes it happened to me with my second child. I went in for my 20 week ultrasound and then at like around 28 weeks i fell down some stairs they did an ultrasound to make sure she was ok and she was actually a he i was a little disappointed but now i am expecting my third boy and couldnt be happier. congrats and good luck.
    littlemomma620

Answer by littlemomma620 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Yep, my SIL thought she was having a girl. All pink, was bought for the baby. No other U/S was done and at the birth she found out the baby was a boy..

At 20 weeks the genitals are just about formed completely but you have to account for the fact that you might be 2 weeks less than you thought. Remember your due date is just an estimate plus or minus 2 weeks.

So them saying it was a girl at 20 weeks you could only be about 18 weeks and the penis was just not "showing" yet.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:40 PM on Jan. 24, 2010