Ok so I started letting him feed himself late but..

my son is 17mo and I recently started letting him feed himself. I have no idea if he's getting enough to eat! Today for lunch he had about 3 Tbs of peas and 2 fishsticks and a couple bites of a third one which took about 30-45 min. He was playing with his food for about 5 min when I asked him if he was done. He handed me the fish stick and when I tried to give him one more bite he turned his head... So I cleaned him up. Do you think he got enough? Should I offer him a small meal or big snack (fruit) before his next nap?

Also, what can I give him in the morning for breakfast that he can eat by himself.. he is still learning to use a spoon but is more interested in "painting" with it and still can't get food on it by himself...

alinker

Asked by alinker at 4:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 14 month old doesn't eat much at each sitting - what you gave your son sounds about like what my son eats, he just eats often. Their tummies are small and can't hold that much, just feed him a normal snack. For breakfast you could feed him anything and just let him experiment, but things that would be "clean" - pancakes or waffles (my son loves little "silver dollar" pancakes) w/ no syrup with fruit on the side, dry cereal (cheerios, giant rice krispies, etc), cheese toast, french toast cut in cubes, etc

Answer by missanc at 5:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• That sounds like enough. My 2 yr old eats about that. For breakfast we do scrambled eggs with ham and cheese in it. Or she likes toast (but that painting sounds messy for toast with jelly). You can also try cereal with a small amount of milk in it. My dd is two, has been trying to use a spoon since she was 6 mos and still can't do soup. Give your son a fork and teach him how to pick stuff up with that, I find it easier! Yogurt is also very easy for toddlers to get with a spoon because it sticks to the spoon more so and I found it to be a good learning food. MESSY, but really good for them to figure out!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 6:23 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• the size of his fist is the size of his stomach. don't push, just let him do his thing
    Anonymous

• he'll eat what he wants.

he won't starve himself
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• He'll eat enough, if he acts like he's done or tells you he is then he's had enough.
    Let him make a mess with his spoon, it's how they learn. With my son things that stuck worked well... thick oatmeal or malt O meal worked well. If he was using his fingers or a fork cut up french toast or scrambled eggs worked well. My son is 18 months now and is learning how to eat cold cereal in milk and is doing well with it.
    My son still eats with his hands a lot, which is fine with me, but he also knows how to use a spoon or a fork if he needs to. Like we had spaghetti last night and he used his fork (even tried to twirl it, it was so cute!)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2010